What's looking good in June 2015

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Sorry about the delay in replying but I've been away. (y)

It's Nigella (Love in a Mist). It's very easy to grow from seed, as an annual. Each seed pod produces thousands of seeds and flowers, here, from May throughout the summer if you grow them in succession. Just left to drop seed (or be distributed by wind or wildlife) they tend to flower from May until mid to late July.

Ours self-seed all around the garden and we're happy for them to do their own thing. If any are in the way or we need the ground we just pull them up. They are also good for using as cut flowers in vases and when the seed pods form they go well in dried flower arrangements.

The most common colour is light blue but they come in various shades of blue as well as white and pink. You should be able to buy a packet of mixed colour seeds.

A darker blue
View attachment 7402

and a white
View attachment 7401

Thanks Bootsy. I love them and really want them scattered throughout my garden. I'll check them out this week.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
So pretty Bootsy. I've tried hanging baskets but I've failed miserably. They look ok for a while but come warmer weather they just turn up their toes. A have two English gardener friends who say it's just too hard in Australia and have given up so that makes me feel a better. One friend has some with succulents and they look good so I'm trying that now. They are effective but not the same as the pretty ones so I'll just have to be content with admiring beautiful one like yours. Thanks for the lovely images:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks Deborah, Here are a few quick shots of things on the garden.

Our Passion Flower has just started blooming
P1240071.JPG

Campanula are running wild now
P1240072.JPG

Lychnis are flowering in white and cerise with the silver leafed Stachys behind them. They attract the bees which helps the vegetables and fruit all around that area
P1240107.JPG

Phlomis Russelliana is also loved by the bees
P1240080.JPG

Contrasting leaves and flowers
P1240094.JPG

And these are just some close-ups of some flowers
P1240074.JPG

P1240077.JPG

P1240078.JPG

P1240088.JPG

P1240093.JPG

P1240095.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
For parents their child is the prettiest and for gardeners they admire their own creation. Here is one I admire. I call it snow bush. It will be in full bloom soon.

001.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
DSCN1547.JPG

Scorzonera, shoud be growing it for the roots, but I tend to just let it flower for the bees :)

Ask a Question