What's looking good in June 2015

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This banana bunch - have already plucked a few bananas from there - has appeared in our garden after a long long time. We used to have several varieties before.

003.JPG

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
All beautiful Bootsy. Could you tell me the name of the pretty blue one first in your display, please? It's just lovely:)

Sorry about the delay in replying but I've been away. (y)

It's Nigella (Love in a Mist). It's very easy to grow from seed, as an annual. Each seed pod produces thousands of seeds and flowers, here, from May throughout the summer if you grow them in succession. Just left to drop seed (or be distributed by wind or wildlife) they tend to flower from May until mid to late July.

Ours self-seed all around the garden and we're happy for them to do their own thing. If any are in the way or we need the ground we just pull them up. They are also good for using as cut flowers in vases and when the seed pods form they go well in dried flower arrangements.

The most common colour is light blue but they come in various shades of blue as well as white and pink. You should be able to buy a packet of mixed colour seeds.

A darker blue
P1240046.JPG

and a white
P1240019.JPG

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Everything fades into insignificance when Bootsy walks in!

I do cut flower arrangements but this is - now what shall I say!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
This is not the Amazon Rain Forest but that is how our garden - systematic wilderness - looks in June with heavy rain. (lol)

003.JPG
004.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
@grouie Thanks for the very nice compliment.

Your garden is looking very lush and tropical. (y) Actually, it looks quite Amazonian :)

It's not too difficult to get things to grow here. As the climate is very conducive to the well being of a lot of plants (except tropical) it's just a matter of deciding what to grow and then looking after them.

The hanging baskets have just had a variety of plants put into them and they're nurtured through their early stages and then just watered and fed regularly.

We've been away on holiday but have some very good friends who are happy to come in and water the plants that are in pots, baskets and the greenhouse every day. It takes about an hour a day to water them with a hose.

The rest of the garden has to manage without help.

As we haven't had much rain for the last few weeks the plants are suffering so, now we're back, I've been using the sprinkler on the garden and moving it around every couple of hours. They've forecast some rain for today so I'll leave the garden to enjoy it.

When I have the sprinkler going the birds love it and run in and out of the spray :D

A selection of plants:-

This Cistus drops its petals every day and new flowers open each day
P1230990.JPG

This is a variegated elderberry. A very nice cordial can be made from the flowers and wine can be made from the seed heads
P1230992.JPG

This is Euphorbia Mellifera. It grows quite tall (over 6ft at the moment) and the flowers smell of honey
P1230993.JPG

Some clematis
P1230999.JPG

P1240003.JPG

P1240006.JPG

Double Philadelphus - highly scented
P1240034.JPG

Can't remember the name of this plant but it's 8ft high and 5ft diameter - and the bees love it
P1240013.JPG

This Freemontedendron starts off as a shrub but, if left to its on devices (as we have), grows into a tree. It flowers profusely from the end of May until mid-July and then steadily through to the frosts - about the end of October.
P1240048.JPG

The Stachys lananta is only just starting to flower but the bees are already all over it
P1240058.JPG

Cytisus Battandieri (Pineapple Broom plant) is 8ft high and now producing plenty of flowers
P1240064.JPG

Oops! I realise I hadn't expended this next photo>

It's the first flowering lily of a plant that has dozens of them coming along

P1240069.JPG

Last edited:
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
@grouie Thanks for the very nice compliment.

Your garden is looking very lush and tropical. (y) Actually, it looks quite Amazonian :)

It's not too difficult to get things to grow here. As the climate is very conducive to the well being of a lot of plants (except tropical) it's just a matter of deciding what to grow and then looking after them.

The hanging baskets have just had a variety of plants put into them and they're nurtured through their early stages and then just watered and fed regularly.

We've been away on holiday but have some very good friends who are happy to come in and water the plants that are in pots, baskets and the greenhouse every day. It takes about an hour a day to water them with a hose.

The rest of the garden has to manage without help.

As we haven't had much rain for the last few weeks the plants are suffering so, now we're back, I've been using the sprinkler on the garden and moving it around every couple of hours. They've forecast some rain for today so I'll leave the garden to enjoy it.

When I have the sprinkler going the birds love it and run in and out of the spray :D

A selection of plants:-

This Cistus drops its petals every day and new flowers open each day
View attachment 7413

This is a variegated elderberry. A very nice cordial can be made from the flowers and wine can be made from the seed heads
View attachment 7414

This is Euphorbia Mellifera. It grows quite tall (over 6ft at the moment) and the flowers smell of honey
View attachment 7415

Some clematis
View attachment 7416

View attachment 7417

View attachment 7418

Double Philadelphus - highly scented
View attachment 7420

Can't remember the name of this plant but it's 8ft high and 5ft diameter - and the bees love it
View attachment 7419

This Freemontedendron starts off as a shrub but, if left to its on devices (as we have), grows into a tree. It flowers profusely from the end of May until mid-July and then steadily through to the frosts - about the end of October.
View attachment 7421

The Stachys lananta is only just starting to flower but the bees are already all over it
View attachment 7422

Cytisus Battandieri (Pineapple Broom plant) is 8ft high and now producing plenty of flowers
View attachment 7423

May your tribe increase thought it will be difficult (y):whistle::whistle::whistle:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
It was one of my favourite poems as a young child. (y)

Do you think we may be in danger of starting a mutual admiration society? :ROFLMAO::D :LOL:

No problem. Let others join in too!!! ;););)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Thanks, Sheal. :)

The hanging baskets just have every flowering plant available just jammed into them. There's no organisation of colour or even plants that like dry or wet conditions. They just have to survive together.

The two baskets in pots that have the pansies are our winter pansy baskets with, also, just some other plants that were available being shoved in there. The pansies have been unbelievably well behave this year and we expected to return to all of the petals to have died during the week we were in the Lakes. I took these photos without even having to deadhead them!

Ask a Question