What's looking good in July 2017

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Went over to the community garden last Friday.
P1040593.JPG
P1040595.JPG
P1040592.JPG
P1040594.JPG
P1040590.JPG
P1040587.JPG
P1040589.JPG

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Long-headed Coneflower. This is one plant I wish I had more of. It's slowly seeding itself and I'm up to 3 or 4 plants now, but I'd like to get around 10 or 15 to fill in a corner of the garden.
IMG_4859 copy.jpg

I watched this poor bee fly right into the web. Even though my garden is all about helping the bees, the fact is, nature needs to take its course. My habitat is for all creatures, and this spider would never have gotten a meal here if I hadn't added my garden.
IMG_4866 copy.jpg

Here's the most colorful part of my garden. My plants grow considerably taller than they do in a real prairie, which causes some of them to bend to the ground after a rainfall. I wish they grew more to a typical prairie height, which would cause them to be more sturdy.
IMG_4818 copy.jpg

IMG_4824 copy.jpg

Unfortunately, I have bad powdery mildew on my Smooth Oxeyes, which is a real shame. The foliage is white as snow. I may end up removing them all since I want my garden to be able to maintain itself, which is unfortunate, because they have amazing flowers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@JBtheExplorer If caught early enough, powdery mildew can be taken care of with a mixture of milk and water sprayed in full sun, both sides, on affected plants. You can search it if you need details, but full sun is key because the sun reacts with the protein in the milk to kill the mildew. Maybe this is against your garden rules.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Now you're just rubbing it in... o_O
Hehe I always like the yard after it rains, looks so pretty and fresh and yours is looking lovely.

Ask a Question