9a
Country
United Kingdom
Some photos from the weekend:

Rhapsody in blue rose:
20160630_085003.jpg

An iris in our pond :)
20160703_172604.jpg

Also was doing a bit of weeding and found this little horse chestnut tree (I guess a squirrel hid the conker because there isn't a tree it could have fallen from) - I always like seeing the growth from the original seed :)

20160618_105758.jpg

20160618_105816.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It sure is! What type of beetles are those?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oooooo, such a cutie pie! It is true, if you grow host plants they will come. Most butterflies are desperate for host plants, even with more people planting these days. I see them doing what i call "hey, i found a host plant" dance. They touch the plant and then fly up and down and all around. Then they fly back touch the plant again and the dance starts all over. They are more subdued when laying eggs. I can feel the joy. They really do need host plants more than they need food. They need very little nectar to survive...but they cannot survive without host plants for the babies. Is this the only one? or are there other caterpillars on the plants as well? Congratulations!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks. :)
Actually milkweed grows wild here, it's all over the place, along roadsides and such. But I wanted to attract more butterflies to my little corner of the world so I was happy to see this guy. There are more.

Also finally I have frogs in my little pond this year! No pics, but little *plops* when I approach. :)

Ask a Question