What's looking good in February 2018

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Pictures of the circle, buckets of bulbs all planted and watered, and then the flower buds and such in the side yard. I’ve got about 50 clusters, not even counting the many tiger Lillie’s, that will be dug up and moved over when I’m ready for them.

Looking good and tidy and the yellow daff is so intense in colour. I have 2 tall daffs and they have now been snowed down. Both flower on the floor! Snow, go away!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I was expecting the first bloom of the year to be the grape hyacinths. That daffodil is on my dogs grave, it it didn’t bloom last year. But the grape hyacinths will be blooming any time now, then the other daffodils. The wild honey bees will be happy

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Very nice for the bees. When I went to diy gc, I saw at least 2 bumbles getting drunk amongst the hellebores. So nice to see them in this harsh weather. I even took a video of it. LOL! I think daff is earlier than grape hyacinth. Crocus and iris being earlier still.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’ve got other daffodils that are just barely broke through the ground. And
Some that are budding, but not showing color yet, or didn’t yesterday. I guess my Siberian iris didn’t make it, as I haven’t seen them yet. I’m still learning what’s what amongst the plants. Like hyacinths and grape hyacinths. Daffodils and narcissis. I’ll get pics as they bloom, and there are some that haven’t bloomed, I presume they aren’t in the right conditions. I found a cluster in the circle of them, but the ones in the side yard haven’t bloomed that I know of either. No clue what they are.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is one clump of many, all the same type, that I’ve never seen bloom. Anyone know what it might be?

Attachments

• 0D2AAC62-E029-4F28-99AD-052AA3462AEF.jpeg
    0D2AAC62-E029-4F28-99AD-052AA3462AEF.jpeg
    279.7 KB · Views: 190

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Looks like daffs, but I could be wrong. If you like, buy some snowdrops and naturalise your garden. Try to buy one pot of different types. For example, Nivalis, Elwesii. Don't buy the same. Plant them in drift but separate areas and label them. They will naturalise and before you know, you will have tons of them. They are very dainty and their purity is just superb. Also watch out for camassia which are tough cookies and will take whatever your throw at them. That's what I would do if I had a bigger garden. I hope you share my delights. My avatar features snowflakes or Leucojum aestivum. They will flower a bit later than snowdrops.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Tips are more rounded, leaves are broader. Narcissis? Something like that, similar but different than typical yellow daffodils. Smaller flowers. I think we have some of those but I thought they were smaller than the daffodils. The circle will be surrounded by the bulbs, and if I have enough left over, I’ll be planting them in other locations. I do want to add more variety of plants I can’t kill, by that, plants that won’t die on me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I’d like to add more iris and lilly varieties. Then some medium height types, and the crocus, snow drops, and Siberian iris for shorter.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
They are all perennials and are perfect for this time of the year. Lilies are very easy to multiply stock. When you buy the bulbs, just scale them and put them in bags of moist dirt and sealed up the bag with air. Place it in a warm dark place and in 3 or 4 mouths' time, you will have tons of babies. They are perennial too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
This is what I intend it to become. Just a rough draft of how I want it, with plants listed on the Right side. This year will be all prep, clearing weeds, fine tuning the lay out, maybe buying some plants if I can get them on discount. I have plenty of tulip, daffodils, Tiger lilly, need more iris, crocus, other kinds and colors of Lillie’s, some other bulbs. This fall, I’ll get it tilled, beds laid out, plant the bulbs, maybe some seeds laid down. We have two trees that need to come down, I’m going to put my Jane Magnolia in, I want to add a lilac, and a good shade tree. The shade tree may or may not happen, depending on how much space I have for vehicles there. I’d also like to see what wild plants I can gather to sow seeds in with the bulbs. It’ll be a few years before I see much on this being as full and well grown as I’d like, but that’s fine. If I do each bed about 12-18” wide, and space out my bulbs and plants, then let them reproduce on their own, I think it’d be 2-3 years of growth to see good results. That includes adding new bulbs every now and then.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 187
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Looks like daffs, but I could be wrong. If you like, buy some snowdrops and naturalise your garden. Try to buy one pot of different types. For example, Nivalis, Elwesii. Don't buy the same. Plant them in drift but separate areas and label them. They will naturalise and before you know, you will have tons of them. They are very dainty and their purity is just superb. Also watch out for camassia which are tough cookies and will take whatever your throw at them. That's what I would do if I had a bigger garden. I hope you share my delights. My avatar features snowflakes or Leucojum aestivum. They will flower a bit later than snowdrops.
How y’all do they get?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
It might be a good idea to put some round stones or round chopped wood trunk as stepping stones so that you can walk around the planted areas, just in case you need to weed. Also, it might be a good idea to add structure or bones to the plot i.e. proper shrubs such as Choisya as it has a lighter foliage. Sheal has a most wonderful combination with Choisya. Or a variegated weigela with pink flowers., A standard salix to add height and elegance, a standard fushsia so that you can grow something underneath, an acer red or green. Some shrubs like these add much allure to a garden. You can google Upsy daisy's garden to see what it's like. Some trees, but not the invasive big ones, but I think you can have big ones if you want. Please make sure you will not be tired of them for at least 20 years. Some pieris or evergreen camellia would be good. I personally like Williamsii x Debbie or an E G Waterhouse which you can see here
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/3-gardening-diaries.13361/page-28#post-135269

Hope you enjoy your planning..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I don’t mind walking on mint. It’s a hardy plant, once well established. I may try to start a few varieties in containers so I can plant them in autumn with the bulbs.
As for hardscaping, trees, we have two to take out. The big old one to the east will stay, it is a culprit for throwing saplings, but it’s just so gnarley and big. Rare in what used to be grasslands, it must be over 100. We have a rose bush / cluster of tangled vines on the south side of the circle. I need to trim out two trees growing in it, poor thing, I had to hack the crap out of it to get those treees exposed. Once the two trees on the east side are out, I’ll add the Jane magnolia I already have, it’s such a great tree. Appealing to the eye, great flowers. Between the two, I’ll add an old fashioned lilac. But I’m thinking I may need a tree that’ll add a bit of shade, just not sure what kind.

Ask a Question