What's going on with my tomato?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The good ol intertweb tells me that Walmart carrys it too. I need to go there anyway, id like to stop at the nursery too, but I have a 3yo and a 1yo with me today, so that may be one stop to many...at least for dado_O

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The good ol intertweb tells me that Walmart carrys it too. I need to go there anyway, id like to stop at the nursery too, but I have a 3yo and a 1yo with me today, so that may be one stop to many...at least for dado_O
While your out you may as well pick up Neem Oil too. Spinosad, Bt and Neem are the only three pesticides an organic gardener will ever need.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Worms with red pointy tails? ???? Do you mean Hornworm? The tomato hornworm has a reddish pointy thing on its head. Bt ONLY KILLS CATERPILLARS. Nothing else. If not a caterpillar use a spinosad based product.
Hornworms ARE caterpillars. They turn into moths. Moth larva are still considered caterpillars, like butterfly larva. They are called worms because they I guess resemble them but aren't worms. Like how ringworm is a fungus not a worm or how box turtles are actually tortoises. It's a misnomer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Piedmont
Country
United States
Hornworms ARE caterpillars. They turn into moths. Moth larva are still considered caterpillars, like butterfly larva. They are called worms because they I guess resemble them but aren't worms. Like how ringworm is a fungus not a worm or how box turtles are actually tortoises. It's a misnomer.

So bt should work then? I might pick some up but honestly, the hunt them and pick them off seems to work fine...If it's not too expensive I might grab some just in case I get a serious infestation.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So bt should work then? I might pick some up but honestly, the hunt them and pick them off seems to work fine...If it's not too expensive I might grab some just in case I get a serious infestation.
You will never find all of them. Many times I have looked and looked at a plant that I knew was being eaten by a hornworm and just could not find him until he had finally eaten so much of the foliage I was able to finally end his days. Bt is the best way to get rid of any caterpillar that is a problem whether it be a hornworm or cabbage looper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When the tomato ripens it will have black spots where ever it was chewed on. If you peel the tomato you will probably remove about 95% of the spots. Of the remaining spots just use the sharp pointed end of the blade to get rid of them. I have never had the taste affected.

Ask a Question