What specific plants would you choose for their scent?

Reaction score
I love the scent of any of the Asiatic Lillies. I am also partial to my hyacinths when they bloom in the spring. And of course, lilacs. I used to love to go to nurseries in the spring and smell my way through the different blooming shrubs and flowers to decide what I wanted to add to my garden. OH<<< and for those of us in the south,, magnolia trees are great for scent. The smell of the blooms can be very strong, so it is a personal preference,, some love the smell of magnolias and others hate it!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Another plant that produces fragrant flowers is Lilly of the Valley. I adore it. The flowers are very small, sometimes it's hard to notice them - but the scent is magnificent.

konwalie.jpg
I have these lily of the valley in my yard, and I love their scent. But they are invasive plants to have as they took over my yard, front and back. They are also not good if you have pets, and can harm your furry friends.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I like to have lilac plant, jasmine plant, and hyacinths. These are spring flowers that I love, but I haven't found any plant with scent that would last year round, except for herbs plant like rosemary, thyme, and lemon basil even though they don't have flowers. Just one brush of the hand and I am in heaven :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have these lily of the valley in my yard, and I love their scent. But they are invasive plants to have as they took over my yard, front and back. They are also not good if you have pets, and can harm your furry friends.
That's true. Lilies of the valley are not only invasive, but also poisonous to animals and humans. But nothing can change my love for them. They're such adorable, little plants!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Somehow I forgot about violets. If I was looking for flowers just for their scent alone, I would definitely choose violets. They're too small to make a garden look really pretty but their scent is the sweetest. I currently dream about violet perfumes:)

viola-odorata-01.jpg
Lovely violets can make strong visual statements when planted in mass. I have seen stunning violet gardens in East Tennessee. I have also been in arguments as to whether these are flowers or weeds. The person who considered them a weed had Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Lovely violets can make strong visual statements when planted in mass. I have seen stunning violet gardens in East Tennessee. I have also been in arguments as to whether these are flowers or weeds. The person who considered them a weed had Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder.
I agree! Violets definitely aren't weeds!:) They're the prettiest little plants.
A violet garden sounds absolutely wonderful. I'd love to see one in person! I'm sure it looks like something from a fairy tale:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are so many! From roses to lilies to... I have a flowering ginger that smells amazing! Tuberoses have a very intense smell that can make it difficult to be in the same room with them. I am planning on getting sweet olive soon as it's my absolute favorite scent. I also love the scent of orange blossoms.

Ask a Question