What specific plants would you choose for their scent?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Well, I wouldn't mind having a lavender field in my garden, it would be lovely, if it was a view from my window:D :

lavender20field.jpg

Reaction score
Gardenia, definitely. If you live in the zone for them. One gardenia bush can perfume an entire patio area. They have large varieties and low growing varieties. We have both. I've seen some that bloom all season. You do have to watch them for white flies but they are evergreen and put out the most fragrant white blooms that you can then pick and float in small bowls of water for table decoration.

Reaction score
Rosemary. Not only does it have significant health benefits and can make a lamb roast a WOW roast, it can also keep away certain pest from infecting your garden.

Reaction score
Oh and citronella. This has quite a strong scent and is great for keeping away the mosquitos. Perfect in pots around a patio or porch. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jewell, the flowers look gorgeous! Thank you for sharing the pictures. I have plox in my garden too, I really like them, they're very pretty plants:)

Reaction score
Phlox has a lovely scent and a long bloom time. It comes in multiple colors and butterfly's and hummingbirds love it.View attachment 774

is this in your yard? i have a similar spot. most of my flower questions pertain to trying to get it to look like this picture, except my chairs face the flowers.

unfortunately, most of the lavender i brought seems to be dying. i guess that's the perils of buying off the bargain table. i still like it though. maybe next year i'll buy some nicer ones.

Reaction score
Lilac, lavender, honeysuckle, friesas - I love them all! Most herbs are scented as well, but go for the strong ones like Rosemary and Thyme. Night Scented Stocks, as the name suggests, are not only scented but give off their scent into the evening as well.
FLSSTO14540_3.jpg

Reaction score
Soliloguy, it would be very difficult to recommend, any one particular scented plant, as we all differ in terms of, our own preferred fragrance, but luckily for all of us, the choice of scented plants is huge.
My particular favorite is Mirabilis Jalapa, which also goes under the names of ' Marvel of Peru ', ' Don Diego ' and the 4 o'clock flower. I always plant this around areas where we sit in the evenings, as when the flowers open around sunset, they fill the air, with a fragrance, very similar to my favorite perfume, Chanel No.5.
If you like chocolate, then the chocolate flavored sent of Comos Arrosanguineus or Choclate Comos is absolutely irresistible, especially when combined with Mint or Roses.
Another favorite for evening fragrance is Oenothera or evening primrose which has such a range of colors and scents to choose from, that you are spoilt for choice.
As I said the list is huge and it would be very easy to get carried away, think its just a matter of choosing which scents you prefer the most.

Reaction score
Gardenia, definitely. If you live in the zone for them. One gardenia bush can perfume an entire patio area. They have large varieties and low growing varieties. We have both. I've seen some that bloom all season. You do have to watch them for white flies but they are evergreen and put out the most fragrant white blooms that you can then pick and float in small bowls of water for table decoration.

Millenia, I love Gardenias, but unfortunately live in an area where they don't grow very well, but your description of floating Gardenia petals as a table decoration, has just given me a wonderful idea. I currently use floating candles on their own, but from now on will be using lemon blossom with the floating candles.
Many thanks for a great idea.

Reaction score
I am currently growing star gazer lillies in a container and they are doing great. They are very fragrant and one of my favorite flowers.

In my old neighborhood, several homes had large hedges of night blooming jasmine and I agree with the post above, it is one of the most wonderful and heady scents. It is such a pleasure to be taking a walk and the aroma just rolls over you.

Reaction score
I love passing maganolia trees because the scent can travel so far when they are flowering. I love the smell of basil, and I love how some people can smell chamomile flowers and others can't .. I have that great sense of smell.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am joining the group that love honeysuckle, I love the scent early in the morning it makes everything smell fresh. Rosemary is another one I like nice and clean smelling.

Reaction score
Lilacs, lilacs, and more lilacs!!! Rosemary and lavender as well as honey suckle. I adore dill and it comes up each year where I plant my tomatoes so when I am working around the tomatoes I am filled with the delightful aroma of dill!

Ask a Question