What specific plants would you choose for their scent?

dim

Reaction score
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jasmine perfumes sound lovely!
Yesterday, I managed to buy Lilly of the Valley perfumes, but unfortunately the scent fades pretty quickly. I still like wearing them though - it feels like spring.

Reaction score
I grow a lot of herbs for their scent as much as the taste. I have a rosemary bush growing where I brush against it to turn on the outside tap, and there's mint by the front door. I love the scent of basil too and always have a pot on the kitchen windowsill.

Reaction score
It will be be jasmines for me all the way. I do love the smell of lavender and lilac but jasmines do get to the top of my list.

Reaction score
Thyme is another nice scented plant. There are different kinds that have different smells - orange-scented, etc. Basil is amazing for it's scent as well - so spicy. I love roses, and lavender, mint (I've got chocolate and pineapple mints growing this year), rosemary, sage, hyacinth. I am not a big fan of lilac, but got introduced to Japanese lilac this year, and I do really like that. I've never grown lily of the valley or honeysuckle, but I may have to try both. I'd love to be able to grow something like jasmine, but that's out unless I get to build a nice big greenhouse one day for tropicals

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
The more I think about it, the more sure I am that my favorite scented flowers are violets. Hence is my question: are there any perfumes that smell like violets? I would love to have them!:D Any tips are very welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I really love the scent of the Hyacinth also. I really look forward to smelling them in the spring when they blossom.
Another spring flower that I s just love to smell is the Narcissis. When I was a little girl , my mother had a wonderful flower garden , and in the spring would come all of the Daffodils, Narcissis, and tulips. I loved the wild colors of the Tulips, especially the Parrot Tulips with the beautiful streaking colors, but for smell, nothing matched the Narcissis. Just a few in a vase made the whole house smell heavenly !

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I adore tulips too. I always wonder how is this possible that such beautiful flowers don't have any special smell. Whenever I look at them, I think that they should smell heavenly...and I'm always disappointed.

Jed

Reaction score
Lemon scented Verbena is one of my favourite and is hard to beat as a fragrant plant in your garden. It needs a bit of space growing as high as 2 metres though it can be kept in line with a pair of pruners and could be used as a fragrant hedge..It grows in a lot of different climatic regions but prefers a warm location in well drained soil. We have it at the entrance of our hot house and every time I pass it gives off its wonderful lemon scent which reminds me to prune it one day... :rolleyes: It can be used as a herbal tea or as a flavouring in cooking. The best leaves to pick are the new shoots. It does flower with many small flowers which can be cut for bouquets to freshen up indoors. It grows easily from cuttings taken in summer.

ver_m1049758.jpg

images

Reaction score
i only just experienced lavender yeaterday, i was digging around on the clearance table at my local lowes and kept smelling something that made me think someone had on too much perfume, but there was no one that close to me. i finally realised it was something on the racks somewhere and still couldn't believe it.

i eventually picked up a lavender plant and realised that's what i had been smelling. it was so strong for such a little plant. they were cheap so i got 4. today on the way to work i got 6 more, and while thinking of places to put them i think if they still have some by the weekend i may buy more still for my front step pots.

Jed

Reaction score
i only just experienced lavender yeaterday, i was digging around on the clearance table at my local lowes and kept smelling something that made me think someone had on too much perfume, but there was no one that close to me. i finally realised it was something on the racks somewhere and still couldn't believe it.

i eventually picked up a lavender plant and realised that's what i had been smelling. it was so strong for such a little plant. they were cheap so i got 4. today on the way to work i got 6 more, and while thinking of places to put them i think if they still have some by the weekend i may buy more still for my front step pots.

It seems you have plenty to plant out a hedge. People seem to grow them along their front fence-line in the suburbs. You can plant them out 3 to a metre. Ensure the soil is well drained as they don't tolerate wet feet and don't over do the manure they survive in a poor soil as long as it's not to acidic.
The hedge will get quite thick at about one metre high.

Reaction score
They really grow if they like where they are. Mine is in it's 2nd year, and it's about 2 1/2 to 3 feet in diameter, and about 1 1/2 foot high. They look so deceptively small when you first get them :p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, I had no idea that lavender can grow so big. I was pretty sure that it's a rather small plant. A few years ago my mother bought one and she grew it in a pot, it wasn't bigger than my miniature roses:p

Reaction score
You can keep many plants small in a pot - they will only grow as big as the room for their roots. But if you plant the lavender in the garden, then beware :D

Ask a Question