What specific plants would you choose for their scent?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Firelily99, I love lilacs too. I love everything about them. They look beautiful and they smell heavenly. I bought myself lilac perfumes and I wear them often. It's such a feminine scent:)
When I look at this picture, I can almost smell the flowers:

lilac-bouquet.jpg

Reaction score
It will be be jasmines for me all the way. I do love the smell of lavender and lilac but jasmines do get to the top of my list.

I agree 100%. I love the smell of jasmine.

I of course, love the smell of Roses. If you can get a few, the scent is precious.

Reaction score
I have planted a variety of wonderful flowers in window boxes, in urns and just plainly in the ground outside of all of my windows. I open the windows throughout the house and I have the most marvelous scents throughout!

A few of my favorites are:
Hyacinth in the Spring - My utmost favorite! I hate when the growing season is over for these wonderful flowers!
Sweet Pea - These are vines with sweet little blooms that produce a very strong fragrance. They come in several colors. I trellis these.
Iris - Another that comes in many colors so that your landscaping wont suffer from an oddball color scheme. Stunning!
Lilac Bushes - I love this scent and the hardiness of this shrub. Massed together they are beauties!
Lavender- An all time favorite!
Peonies - These are wonderful because not only do they put off a marvelous scent but they work so well in a vase! Check the labels, not all of these are scented.

I will be planting a Magnolia Tree this Spring. In a few years I can enjoy those beautiful blooms and scents as well!

Reaction score
I really love the scent of rosemary, mint and other fresh herbs. They're easy to grow and care for, and they smell wonderful. Oh yeah, and they taste good, too. ;)

Reaction score
I grow a lot of herbs for their scent as much as the taste. I have a rosemary bush growing where I brush against it to turn on the outside tap, and there's mint by the front door. I love the scent of basil too and always have a pot on the kitchen windowsill.

This is me too.

These are great flower choices in this thread. Honeysuckle and Jasmine for me too. Adding for me, is citronella. The plant is sooo yummy smelling, not much like the oil smell at all.

Reaction score
Older post, I know. I just wanted to add a few scented plants. Mints, they smell so good when you rub against them, orange mint and pineapple mint are two of my favorites. Pineapple sage, it smells so sweet, almost like honeysuckles. You can make tea from it too. Sweet alyssum, so tiny and delicate looking. I like to use these to fill out taller potted plants. Some of my other favorites are already been brought up in other post so I won't repeat them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I heard of pineapple mint before, but orange mint is completely new to me. It sounds like a really interesting herb. I'm wondering if it's possible to make tea from it. I think it would be delicious! I've always loved the smell of oranges:)

Reaction score
It's great in tea, any of the mints are. I have a few different varieties of mint growing. Chocolate, orange, pineapple, peppermint, ginger, apple, banana, sweet, spearmint. I think that's all of them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
Definitely Lily of the valley. Though I never smelled it :p And then comes Lilacs, Easter liles, Jasmines, Gardenia, and honey suckle. :D Honestly, I never smelled any of them excluding jasmine and Easter liles that grow in my place. I have read a lot about them though! I do love the roses, their scent is so delicate! I heard scented germaniums also smell quite good. But not sure if i'll pick it up. Only if they all grew here :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Lily of the Valley, Violets, and Roses are my all time favorite scents, so these are the ones that I would choose. Lily of the Valley and Rose scents bring me back to my childhood. I remember my mom wearing perfumes in these scents when I was younger and so they always make me think of her when I smell them. She is still around, but we live a couple of hours away from each other now and I only get to see her about once a month.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Somehow I forgot about violets. If I was looking for flowers just for their scent alone, I would definitely choose violets. They're too small to make a garden look really pretty but their scent is the sweetest. I currently dream about violet perfumes:)

viola-odorata-01.jpg
I had a friend in Tennessee who hated violets and swore that they are weeds which must be eradicated. I think that they are one of our greatest wildflower treasures, and they are perfectly content being domesticated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I had a friend in Tennessee who hated violets and swore that they are weeds which must be eradicated. I think that they are one of our greatest wildflower treasures, and they are perfectly content being domesticated.
It's the first time when I hear of someone who hates violets:( They're such lovely, little flowers and they smell so beautifully! It's the sweetest and the prettiest scent that I can imagine.In my opinion the world without violets would be empty:)

Reaction score
I love passing maganolia trees because the scent can travel so far when they are flowering. I love the smell of basil, and I love how some people can smell chamomile flowers and others can't .. I have that great sense of smell.

I just got two magnolias for my front yard. I didn't know about the scent til a single flower bloomed on one of them (they're pretty small). it's another thing to look forward to once they're bigger.

also basil really surprised me. I got one for a grill area idea and it was making me hungry while I carried it around the plant place I was at. by the time I got home I pulled a leaf off and ate it. truthfully it didn't have much taste, but I had a slight after taste of it and the smell was on my hands. it had me starving 'til I actually got something to eat.

Reaction score
For me it would have to be roses,rosemary and basil ; these plants smell divine especially when inhaled in early mornings when it's still dewy.

Reaction score
I want to be able to grow some plants just for their scent alone. Does anyone have specific recommendations about which plants would be best for this?
What area do you live in? If you live near the southeast of the USA- a wonderful smelling flower native to the Carolinas is called the "sweet bubby bush". Its technical name is Sweetshrub (Calycanthus floridus). It gives a wonderful sweet smell that hummingbirds and butterflies love.

Ask a Question