What size pot for broccolini?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm growing broccolini for the first time from seeds which I started indoors. So far so good, they've been outside for a couple weeks now- about 18" tall and looking healthy.
IMG_4710.jpg
Most of them are in 1 gallon pots as I'm all out of larger pots, and I'm guessing I'll need to pot them up soon, so I'm wondering what size pot would be best. The smaller (e.g. 2-3 gallon) the better space-wise, but if 5 gallon would be better I'll go that way. Thanks so much for any feedback!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Needs a wider pot. Probably root bound.

What kind of broccoli is that? It doesn't look like it is getting enough light but it is too late since it is budding out. Are you pruning off the leaves?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi YumYum- I'm not sure what kind, a neighbor gave me the seeds and he only knew they were broccolini of some sort. It's only getting about 6 hours of sun, and I haven't been pruning the leaves- is it too late to start pruning now? Thanks!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Same for me, I was thinking of putting them in containers for the first time and wondering if they are big enough. I am using buckets , mostly because they are really cheap. They are 14 litres (US gallon is 3.8 litres UK gallon 4.5 litres) so a good bit bigger than yours, though I am putting wood in the bottom 1/3rd or so. Previous experience of growing in the garden suggested they might be okay, but I am very interested to hear from anyone else with more information.
I think it is the shape of the plant made YumYum think you might have been taking a few leaves, but pick the flower before it opens and is useless, and you should get more , smaller buds branching out. Bit late now it is flowering, but next time I would say bigger pot and more light.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Thanks so much for any feedback!
I grow a lot of broccoli and broccolini in large Hügelkultur containers...see the thread:

I like to grow two plants per container. These containers are large... > about 25 gallons...and receive full sun. The broccoli grows spectacularly in these and tastes to die for.

Here is some of last fall's broccoli crop growing in container:

broc hk 10-13.JPG

And also, the broccolini:

brocolli hk 9 25.JPG

Here's the two heads of broccoli harvested from the above plants:

broc hk  2.JPG

Full sun, nutrient dense soil, and some water are all you need to grow broccoli in containers... and it helps to have large containers.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here are some photos of my current spring crop. These were planted in January. One of the beauties of HK containers is that they are easily protected from frost/freezes either by moving or covering. These plants have gone through several freezes and are coming along very nicely for harvest soon. Again, I use two plants per HK container.

broc spring 2 2024.JPG

broc spring 2024.JPG

Some fine eating ready soon grown only in containers.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Hi YumYum- I'm not sure what kind, a neighbor gave me the seeds and he only knew they were broccolini of some sort. It's only getting about 6 hours of sun, and I haven't been pruning the leaves- is it too late to start pruning now? Thanks!
Yes it needs more light. That is the reason it looks lanky. See how Meadowlarks plants are wide and short with alot of leafage.

No don't prune the leaves. It needs more leaves actually. I kinda looked like you did is the reason I asked.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Same for me, I was thinking of putting them in containers for the first time and wondering if they are big enough. I am using buckets , mostly because they are really cheap. They are 14 litres (US gallon is 3.8 litres UK gallon 4.5 litres) so a good bit bigger than yours, though I am putting wood in the bottom 1/3rd or so. Previous experience of growing in the garden suggested they might be okay, but I am very interested to hear from anyone else with more information.
I think it is the shape of the plant made YumYum think you might have been taking a few leaves, but pick the flower before it opens and is useless, and you should get more , smaller buds branching out. Bit late now it is flowering, but next time I would say bigger pot and more light.
Thanks Oliver, I'll keep an eye out for larger pots/containers, I've been pretty lucky finding free stuff online. This broccolini is just a first time experimental venture using supplies I had on hand. I'm a believer in just trying things even if you don't have an optimal setup- and even though this broccolini might not do much, it's really fun seeing it grow regardless!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here are some photos of my current spring crop. These were planted in January. One of the beauties of HK containers is that they are easily protected from frost/freezes either by moving or covering. These plants have gone through several freezes and are coming along very nicely for harvest soon. Again, I use two plants per HK container.

View attachment 102262

View attachment 102263

Some fine eating ready soon grown only in containers.
Whoa- looking great Meadowlark, this is quite inspiring, thanks! The long thread on your Hugelkulture grow is also very interesting and informative. I appreciate your approach- reusing buckets, adding wood etc. I may not be able to do 20 gallon containers but I'll try to get some larger ones- thanks for the feedback!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes it needs more light. That is the reason it looks lanky. See how Meadowlarks plants are wide and short with alot of leafage.

No don't prune the leaves. It needs more leaves actually. I kinda looked like you did is the reason I asked.
Makes sense, YumYum, thanks! Everyone here is so kind and helpful 🙏

Ask a Question