Can Anyone Identify Pot Size?

Reaction score
Country
United States
The small one on the far right is 5 gallon, it says so on it. The others have nothing labeled/embossed anywhere. Any guesses what the middle and far left is?

10? 15?

20200701_175340.jpg

20200701_175346.jpg

P

Peace perfect peace

just measure the width from side to side at the top, same again at the base and you 've got your pot size,

P

Peace perfect peace

What are you wanting to know how many gallons it holds its a plant pot not a jerry can,
the rim area (look at your own photo and you'll see the mark for watering depth for each pot,
Ive never heard of buying pots via how many gallons it holds, but maybe the US. sells pots this way,
(Hey man how many gallons per plant)
No it dont sound right to me.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What are you wanting to know how many gallons it holds its a plant pot not a jerry can,
the rim area (look at your own photo and you'll see the mark for watering depth for each pot,
Ive never heard of buying pots via how many gallons it holds, but maybe the US. sells pots this way,
(Hey man how many gallons per plant)
No it dont sound right to me.

Interesting, here in the US all nurserys sell plants by the gallon size. They list prices as 1 gallon, 5 gallon, 10 gallon etc. Very standard here. Even just buying nursery pots themselves are by the gallon size.

Are you in UK?

P

Peace perfect peace

Hi BayArea 43,
Nice to hear from you and am i glad you've replied, Im one of these people who likes to learn something new everyday no matter how big or small and thanks to your reply ive learnt a bit more ref the American way of gallons and pots,
Just to answer your question "No" im now living in France,
To come back to this way of buying pots etc by the gallon, I dont get it!!!! why by the gallon i mean plant pots have an area inside for compost/soil etc so why not volume of the pot,
Im not knocking the way your doing it but why? I mean you dont go and buy a gallon of compost ,? Or do you ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
A couple of ways if you need accurate volume. Measure the diameter at mid-height and calculate or line the pot with visqueen or similar plastic and fill with measured water.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Curious as to why you want to know volume of pots? For house plants when transplanting the traditional rule is no more than one inch wider (width) and deeper. I believe that is because almost all house plants like to be a bit root bound.
Nurseries sometimes sell plants based on plant pot size, but am finding this is often very unreliable on root/plant development. Plants this last year have been pushed through growth development because of high demands. The plants are usually too small for the pots they are placed.
When I use pots for outdoor veggies, etc. the bigger the better especially tomatoes, but anything will work you just have to water and fertilize more for smaller pots. I never go smaller than 5 gallons. Happy gardening.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi BayArea 43,
Nice to hear from you and am i glad you've replied, Im one of these people who likes to learn something new everyday no matter how big or small and thanks to your reply ive learnt a bit more ref the American way of gallons and pots,
Just to answer your question "No" im now living in France,
To come back to this way of buying pots etc by the gallon, I dont get it!!!! why by the gallon i mean plant pots have an area inside for compost/soil etc so why not volume of the pot,
Im not knocking the way your doing it but why? I mean you dont go and buy a gallon of compost ,? Or do you ?
Actually we sort of do buy mulch by the gallon. We buy it by the yard which about 168 imperial gallons. Not to be confused with 201 liquid gallons. Clear?

Ask a Question