Pot size

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there;)
Am wanting to get a climbing rose for the front of my house next to the front door.
There is no beds there so I need to plant in a pot.
I did ask David Austin site (where I have l ready purchased 2 climbing roses) what size pot and what shape.
They suggested 60x60 with a height of 60cm as well. The shape wouldn’t matter.
However, on investigation we are talking prices well over £150 often over £250….which is a little too dear at the moment.
So I either don’t do it, or find somewhere that does cheaper pots, (which I can’t at the moment,) or save up forever, or get a smaller pot.

What size pot would you recommend?
Also would like a very fragrant rose. What would you recommend here?

many thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If the people who sold the rose recommended that size that is probably the right size, but I don't blame you for not wanting to pay that, and for not wanting to put it on the front door step, I have had someone dig up pelargoniums from next to my front door, never mind pick up a £200 pot.
How about using batons, two across, a plywood floor, then two across alternate ways until you get to 60cm, then you could put a cloth bag in it and fill it, not nearly so valuable or easy to move
Mind, depending how it fits the space, a bit of extra room never hurt a plant, and there is a bit more volume to a square container than a round one.
I am sure someone will suggest a rose, but it might help if you say which way the house faces, some like direct sun more than others.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
What is the world coming to when a plant lover DIGS up plants from someone’s garden!!
Many thanks for the reply. Could make one, quite like that idea.
The house is facing south and 30 deg east.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
You could check out places like B&M and B&Q stores for cheaper pots. There are some very good plastic pots designed to look like the real thing.

This half barrel below is a good price at £24.99 and it's wood. The size is suitable for roses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
You could check out places like B&M and B&Q stores for cheaper pots. There are some very good plastic pots designed to look like the real thing.

This half barrel below is a good price at £24.99 and it's wood. The size is suitable for roses.

Thank you!

Ask a Question