What size pot for a giant sunflower?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'd like to grow a sunflower in a pot, but I'm not sure what size to use or how many litres/gallons of compost it will need. Any suggestions? Would a 45L pot be enough?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
The large sunflower plants will grow just fine in a container. You need something large at least 18 inches wide and deep to accommodate the plants that can grow 8 ft + tall. You probably will need to support them with a stake or something as they reach mature heights to prevent the pot from tipping over in a strong wind. Post up pictures of your plant when in full bloom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The large sunflower plants will grow just fine in a container. You need something large at least 18 inches wide and deep to accommodate the plants that can grow 8 ft + tall. You probably will need to support them with a stake or something as they reach mature heights to prevent the pot from tipping over in a strong wind. Post up pictures of your plant when in full bloom.
Thanks for the info! I definitely will!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey there! Great question about growing giant sunflowers. In my experience, the size of the pot really depends on how big you want your sunflower to grow.

If you want a really big one, I suggest using a large pot or even planting directly in the ground. Sunflowers have a deep root system, so the pot should be at least 12 inches deep. Happy planting!

Ask a Question