What plants remind you of your childhood?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah yes, Dormilonas or Sensitive Plant (Mimosa pudica) in the Pea Family (Fabaceae). There are many species of Mimosa, and several of them are thigmonastic, but M. pudica is the most commonly grown horticulturally. Mimosa is also used as a common name for plants in other genera, such as the Pink Silk Mimosa (Albizia julibrissin).

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah yes, Dormilonas or Sensitive Plant (Mimosa pudica) in the Pea Family (Fabaceae). There are many species of Mimosa, and several of them are thigmonastic, but M. pudica is the most commonly grown horticulturally. Mimosa is also used as a common name for plants in other genera, such as the Pink Silk Mimosa (Albizia julibrissin).
I am absolutely impressed by your wide knowledge of all these different plants, Marck! That's incredible. Thank you

Reaction score
Country
United States
Alexandra roses
Do you mean the roses sold for charity on Alexandra Rose Day?

or

The David Austin Rose known as The Alexandra Rose™ (Rosa x 'Ausday'), which was introduced in 1992 and trademarked in honor of Alexandra Rose Day. It seems that David Austin no longer offers this salmon pink single rose.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Do you mean the roses sold for charity on Alexandra Rose Day?

or

The David Austin Rose known as The Alexandra Rose™ (Rosa x 'Ausday'), which was introduced in 1992 and trademarked in honor of Alexandra Rose Day. It seems that David Austin no longer offers this salmon pink single rose.

No not that one a much older one that grew wild near our home in the early fifties.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
The burning bush. remember first seeing it in someone's yard. My parents were visiting them. I was amazed at the 4 sides of the branches. Also a mock orange shrub my mother had in her garden. Both I got when we arrived at this property. The other one is a sweet shrub, my mother also had one, still have not gotten that shrub, somehow just can't find the right spot for it, yet.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ah yes Sweet Shrub, I know it better as Carolina-Allspice (Calycanthus floridus). I grew a similar Californian species, the Western Spice Bush (Calycanthus occidentalis), but it is not in my garden currently. I too would like to try growing some type of Calycanthus again.

Ask a Question