What plants remind you of your childhood?

Reaction score
Country
United States
We always had a lot of hydrangeas growing up, so I'm very fond of them. Also, I know it's technically a weed, but my grandma has always loved Queen Anne's Lace and so I enjoy them as well. Other than that, just two particular trees- we had a gorgeous, massive weeping willow at my great grandma's house, and a beautiful Japanese Cherry Blossom tree at our house growing up. I've always been fond of both of them.

Reaction score
Country
United States
One plant that reminds me of my childhood is Ivy. My mom would have this in our house in a hanging plant. I also associate tiger lilies with home because we used to have a whole bunch of tiger lilies down the road from us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
My dad liked red leafed trees and our family garden had a huge Fagus Sylvatica (Copper Beech), he also liked red Acers. I've inherited that passion and not having room for the Copper Beech, or being able to grow Acers in my present garden I have red Malus instead. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
what a great Laburnum over that path Caudine. The first things that come's to mind for me would be Wall barley Dart's. As I loved throwing them at my Brother, sister & mates Etc. Also loved Conkers. I used to put a lot's of effort in each autumn Collecting then Drying them To Harden, Then drilling the hole & stringing them up ready for the Champinship games each year at school & down my street. I still find my self looking for winners on the ground but don't throw sticks in to the tree's like I used to:D

Attachments

• wall%20barley.jpg
    wall%20barley.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 290
  • dsc05331.jpg
    dsc05331.jpg
    149.7 KB · Views: 299
Reaction score
Purple heart, that plant definitely reminds me of my childhood. Actually my very first plant was a purple heart one, my dad got me some cuttings from work. I later got cuttings of other varieties.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My childhood plants were hibiscus, roses and mint. Hibiscus and roses were the main flowers in our little garden back then and we had them in all types of colors. Mint was the main type of plant in the backyard and it brings back memories because my aunt and grandma loved using it to make tea. It was a type of peppermint so it had a stronger minty flavor and you could tell when a pot was on as the entire house would smell so sweet with it.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
When I was a kid there was trellis in our yard that had morning glories growing all over.

01060-pk-p1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
This thread make me realize that I grew up in an urban area, in an apartment which has no soil or ground to speak of. The only plants I knew then were those planted in pots that my mother would buy from the ambulant plant vendor. And when the plant dies after some months, my mother would buy again. For the sake of this thread, maybe what reminds of my childhood is the local orchid called Dapo. It is a small plant that was hanging by our garage.

Reaction score
When I was a kid there was trellis in our yard that had morning glories growing all over.

01060-pk-p1.jpg

I forgot about those :) Where I grew up there were a lot of those, the purple and pink kind mostly. There also was a sunflower patch nearby, I loved to play there with my friend and take some sunflowers back home. Funny thing is that field was in an abandoned site, so no idea how those sunflowers got there.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hollyhocks. I remember waiting for the bees to go in them then catching them inside. I'm surprised that I was never stung.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
I used to love Shasta daisies, the classic white. Their long tall stems are easy to pick which we used to make wonderful necklaces and daisy crowns.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Roses remind me of my childhood, Mother use to grow them. Every time I see a red rose it makes me think of her, and every time I hear the song by Elvis Mama like the roses I still get all chokes up and smile thinking of years gone by.

Reaction score
Country
United States
What an interesting question. Of course, I saw and interacted with many plants during childhood, but I think my earliest particular memory was examining the curious flower of the large white Calla Lilies (Zantedeschia aethiopica) that grew beside the back patio.
Actually, I was equally fascinated by the large Garden Snails (Cornu aspersum, formerly Helix aspersa) crawling on the Calla Lilies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I remember by my house there was a hill with this plant that had leaves that closed everytime you touched them. In Spanish we called it "dormilonas" which roughly translates to sleepy, roughly lol I just looked it up and it looked something like this. I remember everytime I played on that hill my favorite thing was to touch them and watch them "go to sleep"
106109460185.jpg

Ask a Question