What plants remind you of your childhood?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
As a kid, I didn't care about plants. However, when I see pictures of Laburnum, I always feel nostalgic, because my aunt and my grandfather used to grow it in their garden many years ago and I remember I loved looking at it.

Even though I hate yellow flowers, I still think that Laburnum is a really stunning plant.

1369228893.jpg

z%C5%82ot.jpg

Reaction score
The Hibiscus flowers was one of my favorite plant during my childhood years..i usually stick one or two hibiscus blooms in my hair and i would pretend to be a princess right throughout the day...and what's even more amazing is the fact that i see my daughter doing the very same thing at times.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
It may sound weird, but onions and roses remind me of my childhood. My daddy and granddaddy had a very large vegetable garden in back of our contingent houses. When I was about five, I was allowed to weed the onions, since the onions' leaves didn't look anything like the weeds, and even a five-year-old could tell the difference.
Then, when I was perhaps 10, I received a rose bush for my birthday. I loved that rose bush, watered it, pruned it, and brought roses to my aunt and my mama. I think those two memories are the root of my love of vegetable gardening, and roses.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Kammy - I'm an adult, but I sometimes do it too:) When I want to feel like a princess, I wear roses in my hair:D
Marlingardener - That's very sweet! A rose bush sounds like a really lovely gift for a child:)

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
I remember willow trees and bougan villas (definitrly not spelled correctly) but they were plentiful and so beautiful. The other ones were morning glories I was fascinated by the fact that they were only open in the morning and if I got up early enough I would be able to see them before school. Now you can eat them in a salad, how things have changed

Reaction score
snowball bushes i think. my mother had a couple. i have the vaugest memory of her going back to an old house we lived in and digging a piece or small bush up to plant were we moved to.

i picked up a couple at lowes last spring. hope to get them in my front yard eventually.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've just googled snowball bushes to see what they look like and I must say that they're absolutely stunning!:love: I want to have them in my future all-white garden:D

Reaction score
Country
Canada
More of the foody plants remind me of my childhood. For example, tomatoes, peppers, cucumbers and carrots just to name a few. This is because when I was a child, my mother and I would always go to the backyard and we have to tend theses plants. It was a hassle for me but my mom seemed to enjoy it a lot. We always eat the plants we grow so I guess there's some sense of pride every time we eat those vegetables :p.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Thank you everyone for sharing your lovely memories!:D

I'm not sure what is the English name of this plant:

okliki_kwiaty2.jpg

It grew everywhere in my aunt's garden. I remember I used to tear off its petals and use them as shoes for my dolls:D

Reaction score
Country
Canada
A plant that would remind me of my childhood would have to be dandelions, because whenever I walk by a patch of them, I remember back to when I was a child. I used to pluck all that I could find and make those cute little wishes that toddler would make and blow the dandelions.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you everyone for sharing your lovely memories!:D

I'm not sure what is the English name of this plant:

okliki_kwiaty2.jpg

It grew everywhere in my aunt's garden. I remember I used to tear off its petals and use them as shoes for my dolls:D

Columbines, Granny's Bonnets or Aquilegia.

Glad you stuck to the petals, the seeds would have killed you :eek:

Reaction score
Green onions take me back because my mom grew winter onions everywhere we lived. I remember them peeking out from the snow, and we didn't always have much but we always had those winter onions. She also always kept Philodendrons around and I have always kept them too. I know she would have loved a real garden but our situation was not like that.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Columbines, Granny's Bonnets or Aquilegia.

Glad you stuck to the petals, the seeds would have killed you :eek:
Really?:eek::eek::eek: This is so scary, no one warned me about it. I grew up surrounded by those plants. I'm so lucky that seeds didn't seem like a nice toy or food to little me:D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Really?:eek::eek::eek: This is so scary, no one warned me about it. I grew up surrounded by those plants. I'm so lucky that seeds didn't seem like a nice toy or food to little me:D

They do make a nice rattling sound in the pods :D

Lots of poisonous plants in the average garden.

Ask a Question