What plants do you consider beautiful that are edible?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I think all edible plants are beautiful when you get to see the efforts of all your hard work grow into harvestable foodstuff. There really is no other feeling like it. I am always excited to see seeds sprout and thrilled to see flowers bloom, and then super excited to see fruit grow. Waiting for the process to be completed is another story, lol.

Reaction score
There are so many plants that you could use. Grapes add the classic look to the decor of your home and they can be used for producing local wines too.My personal favorite though has been jasmine which is a creeper plant. They smell great and look really pretty when properly set up.

Reaction score
Zuccini, not only the zuccini itself is edible, but also the beautiful flowers that are produced by it :) You can make a lot delicious things with those flowers, in my country we eat that a lot. At first I thought that eating flowers was weird, but actually some flowers are meant to be eaten. Like for example the ones produced by the zuccini.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
There are so many plants that you could use. Grapes add the classic look to the decor of your home and they can be used for producing local wines too.My personal favorite though has been jasmine which is a creeper plant. They smell great and look really pretty when properly set up.

I would like a vining jasmine; we used to have one in the back yard. A lot of people here also use it for ground cover, though I am not sure I'd want to go that route. Night blooming jasmine is also common here, and it smells lovely - you just have to watch because it self seeds and spreads easily. I'd like to have the jasmine variety used for tea as well.

That reminds, me - hibiscus is a good choice if you life in a warm enough clime.

Reaction score
I think Sage can fill in quickly and flower and look quite pretty as well. Rosemary are pretty little evergreens that can be shaped. I think trees can also add beauty. I like mulberries that can tree or be grown as a bush.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I completely agree about sage, its flowers are always so lovely, I really like their color:) As for muldberries, yes, they definitely can be grown as trees. I'm not sure if I consider them pretty though, because the fruits look a little weird to me:p And they fall down. There is a muldbery tree that grows in my area and you always see many, many rotting fruits under it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
A plant that I really think has beautiful flowers, and should be grown for the beauty of the plant, as well as for food value is the okra plant. It looks a bit like a smaller sunflower plant until it blossoms, but the flowers are small, beautiful, and very delicate looking. It grows all season long, at least in warmer climates, so you can enjoy the flowers and the vegetable both all summer long.
Okra is also very easy to grow, and the pods grow long and dry up in the fall, so saving the seeds for next year is easy to do as well, I love okra in soups, stews, and even as an addition to spaghetti or other pasta dishes. It is excellent cooked together with fresh tomatoes and a bit of onion and basil. If you like to experiment with your cooking, there are a lot of ways to use this healthy veggie.

Reaction score
I think if it was me, and it was near my front door, I would choose something that wasn't too messy or likely to drop fruits, that could easily get underfoot and be trampled inside, like some of the berries already mentioned, which stain terribly.
My choice would be Citrus Trees, as not only are they evergreen and look good all year round, but every variety has a beautiful fragrance, especially so when in blossom, and of course an abundant amount of fruit, which because its so plentiful - I wouldn't mind if the odd one or two, mysteriously went missing :D

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Cardoons.

PICT0041.JPG

Probably better suited to an herbaceous border than the veg plot with the size they get to.

Reaction score
Peppers are good and there are a number of varieties. Sunflowers are a good idea, they come in a variety of sizes. Look through some catalogs and see what interests you in terms of textures and colors.

Ask a Question