What plants do you consider beautiful that are edible?

Reaction score
I want to make good use of the land I have and plant things that we can eat or use. I also want my house to have great curb appeal. I was thinking in the front yard I would do a herb garden. I love when you go up to someones house and you can smell their lavendar, sage or basil. lavendar plants have those pretty purple flowers on them so for sure they are getting a spot right next to the door. Basil is one of my favorite herbs to use in my cooking so it needs a spot too.

What plants do you think look great that you can make use of as well?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I don't want it to sound too strange but I love how my pumpkin looks. The leaves are so big and they have very interesting shapes, it looks just lovely when the wind is blowing on them. Like green sea:) I also like that the pumpkin has this nice, intensive shade of orange.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
How about sunflowers? Not only are they gorgeous and produce edible seeds, they are reputed to be very good for pulling toxins from the soil. Just remember to rotate your crops.

Reaction score
I have grown nasturtiums and put them in my salads so pretty and it gives it a peppery taste. There are so many more which I am going to try as I have the flowers in my garden but didn't know it. Here is a great website: http://whatscookingamerica.net/EdibleFlowers/EdibleFlowersMain.htm
Have fun planning and munching.

How fun. I didnt think about edible flowers. Ive had them in salads before but its always been at fancy restarunts and never from my own garden.

Grapes. They're coverind our yard providing shade. They look great and we just made wine :D

This year I canned 50 quarts of grape juice. I love grapes of all kinds. They are definately on our list of things to grow. I love the smell as we walk through the vines. Its always such a fresh and sweet smell. It reminds me of my Grandmas house growing up.

I love the looks of anything that grows. It is simple beauty. Natures magic always keeps me amaized. We plant this tiny seed and year after year we get beauty and food from these plants. I love to teach my kids about where our food really comes from and how to take care of what nature lets us have.

Reaction score
I love the look of sunflowers. I also love anything that grows on a vine! Vines look beautiful and cover a lot of space!

Reaction score
I want to make good use of the land I have and plant things that we can eat or use. I also want my house to have great curb appeal. I was thinking in the front yard I would do a herb garden. I love when you go up to someones house and you can smell their lavendar, sage or basil. lavendar plants have those pretty purple flowers on them so for sure they are getting a spot right next to the door. Basil is one of my favorite herbs to use in my cooking so it needs a spot too.

What plants do you think look great that you can make use of as well?
Grape can fit nicely . I would consider bell pepper , as well .

Reaction score
How fun. I didnt think about edible flowers. Ive had them in salads before but its always been at fancy restarunts and never from my own garden.

This year I canned 50 quarts of grape juice. I love grapes of all kinds. They are definately on our list of things to grow. I love the smell as we walk through the vines. Its always such a fresh and sweet smell. It reminds me of my Grandmas house growing up.

I love the looks of anything that grows. It is simple beauty. Natures magic always keeps me amaized. We plant this tiny seed and year after year we get beauty and food from these plants. I love to teach my kids about where our food really comes from and how to take care of what nature lets us have.

We made about 50 gallons of wine but the work is not done yet. We have to filter it again and put it in new containers. We'll have sweet, rose wine for Christmas. :D

Reaction score
We made about 50 gallons of wine but the work is not done yet. We have to filter it again and put it in new containers. We'll have sweet, rose wine for Christmas. :D

50 gallons is so much work. Good for you. I was exausted after my 50 quarts. Its so great to have a pantry full of grape juice to last all year. I know that these grapes are such a blessing.

Were thinking about planting grapes at our house. Our big decision is that we get grapes for free every year given to us. Could we make better use of the space we would dedicated to the grapes? Its a big decision. We are trying to get the best use of our garden space. I love fresh grapes.

Reaction score
Maybe you should plant on a small space so you'll have fresh grapes. There's no point in planting a lot of grapes if you can get them for free.

Reaction score
Maybe you should plant on a small space so you'll have fresh grapes. There's no point in planting a lot of grapes if you can get them for free.

Good point. I dont need to use all the space I have available on just one thing. Grapes give off such a yummy smell that they would be fun to have around. The grapes I get have big seeds in them. I would love to get some seedless grapes that I could just eat instead of steaming for juice. I love the juice but options would be great.

Reaction score
I've done a little research for you, loopyloo. Here's what I've found about seedless grapes and how to grow them: http://www.my-grape-vine.com/blog/growing-seedless-grapes/ . I hope it helps!

That makes it sound so hard to grow them. I think I will still give it a go though. I love grapes so much. We have just been spitting out the seeds as we eat them and that isnt all that bad but no seeds at all are better. The article was talking about how hard it was to grow ones of any good size. They seemed to have wonderful ones. I would be so proud of a crop like that. Thank you so much. I will be back to that articel just before I order my plants.

With anything I think it takes a bit of study and experience to learn to grow new things. That is part of the fun. Learning new things and watching new miracles.

Ask a Question