What motivates you to grow your own?

Reaction score
I think curiosity is a big factor in my gardening, I am always wondering if I can make things grow, what will it taste like and if I can save the seeds. Gardening is really a big adventure, I am always try to "beat the frost". I also prefer the clean taste of fruit off the vine. It's a shame people think can vegetables are comparable to veggies off the vine. People wonder why kids don't like vegetables, they don't receive them fresh. Tsk tsp tsk.

Reaction score
You just can't beat the taste of freshly picked vegetables and fruit. I recently went on a field trip with my kids to an area farm. The owner picked the salad greens and tomatoes for our lunch salads, washed them up, and served them to us. I have been itching to start a vegetable garden ever since that field trip. I think that was the best salad I have ever had.

Another reason my husband and I want to start a garden is to help with the cost. We love to eat fresh vegetables and fruit, but the cost is often high at the grocery store. Even the farmer's markets near my home are high priced.

Reaction score
You just can't beat the taste of freshly picked vegetables and fruit. I recently went on a field trip with my kids to an area farm. The owner picked the salad greens and tomatoes for our lunch salads, washed them up, and served them to us. I have been itching to start a vegetable garden ever since that field trip. I think that was the best salad I have ever had.

Another reason my husband and I want to start a garden is to help with the cost. We love to eat fresh vegetables and fruit, but the cost is often high at the grocery store. Even the farmer's markets near my home are high priced.

Our grocery store does not have locally grown food and that is such a disappointment to me. Our little local farmers market is only open one day a week. You are right about the love of fresh vegetables. I feel the same way. Nothing compares to a good meal of beans/peas of some sort with some fresh slices of home grown tomatoes and cucumbers along with okra, squash and corn on the cob. I could honestly just eat veggies during the summer months. I would not have to cook a piece of meat for our household if it were not for the fact that hubby is a meat and potatoes man. LOL Oh yes and lets not forget the fresh watermelon or cantalope for dessert.

Reaction score
For me it is a couple of factors. Nostalgia is certainly part of it, because I grew up gardening with my grandmother who was farm-raised and never quite did scale down to normal suburban levels of gardening. I credit her with the fact that I've always loved gardening, and specifically growing my own veggies rather than ornamentals. I used to help her can her harvest too, so I have a lifetime of experience with the yummy rewards of vegetable gardening.

Price is part of it too. With a family of five on a single income, buying even the "dirty dozen" organic adds up to a frightening grocery bill. Gardening lets me feed my kids a better diet than I could afford from the grocery store without cutting back on spending elsewhere to cover the cost. Our summer dinners average about $5, because the only thing I buy is meat and diary.

Reaction score
I have a few reasons. The biggest one is just that I really enjoy it. On top of that however...I know it's healthy (healthier eating and exercise). I also run a blog about gardening so I kind of have to garden in order to post. Lol

Reaction score
My main motivation to cultivate my own garden is to produce my greens free from pesticides and harmful chemicals from sprays. I make my own mix of water and extract from garlic to spray and keep away insects from my plants.

Reaction score
I am proud of my vegetables, but that is not really why I raise them.

I think it is the feel of the sun on my back and the soft ground beneath me. It is the smell of the plants and the oasis of peace that I have made. In this hectic world, I can stop and put the world aside for a little while. And, I can watch something that makes me proud grow under my care.

It is true that my vegetables often taste better than what grows in the store, but the true goal is to be out working in my peaceful oasis. Later, when I serve the vegetables to my family, everything seems right in the world.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Know the feeling there Terri :)

Reaction score
What a fun question. I grow my own because they taste better. I love knowing what is in my food and what is NOT. As mentioned, add me to the bunch, it is extremely emotionally satisfying. You just can't buy that kind of happiness.

What I love is knowing I'm eating something the stores just don't have other than farmers markets. Anything from a variety of eggplant that stores don't have, or an heirloom tomato, or a variety or species that is rare, I can just go out and ta da, there it is! That feels wonderful.

Heck, I can even go to Subway for example, have a sandwich, and wish I had it at home so I could put in some basil and other herbs from MY garden! You just can't beat how individual a garden is, and that factor of well, I need some of this to spice up and / or cook for dinner, and there it is within reach. .

Reaction score
What motivates me to grow my own food is avoiding all these chemicals they spray on fruits and vegetables. My family and I enjoy planting and harvesting our own food. It's a great way to bring family together and enjoy the nature of planting. We can more likely to eat fresher and better tasting foods. You can be sure that your homegrown organic food do not contain pesticides, chemical fertilizers or hormones that can cause some of the health disparities that we face today. Growing your own food can also save you significant money on groceries.

By freezing, drying and canning your food, you can extend the savings beyond the growing season. It can be a lot of work though! :eek:

Last edited:

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The taste of fresh home grown tomatoes is the best. It is hard to find a tomatoes in the grocery store to taste that good. I also like the feeling of pride when I see a plant that I had started from a little seed or a little baby plant grow up and produce something good.

Reaction score
My motivation behind gardening is not only because of enjoyment, but because I was tired of spending money on overpriced herbs. I couldn't believe the price of basil when I went into the grocery market, so I decided I was going to buy one of the plants and replant it in my own garden to save money. My plant has held very well and I haven't had any issues with it.

Ever since then, I have done this with numerous herbs. :)

Reaction score
What motivates me to grow my own is such a combination of things. First of all, it's FUN!. Even with the non successes, those I learn with.

I get to see the pleasure of what I have done unfolding. I get to have what I can't have in stores, the variety for instance. You can't just go in a store and get Cuban oregano, or Thai basil or lemon basil. I get to go outside and put basil leaves on my sandwich, etc.

I can't get the variety of eggplant and other things I love from the store.

It's all these things and so much more. Plus it's my oasis, my sanctuary, even tho it may not look like that to anyone else.

AND these bundles of five, MINE did it! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What motivates me is that produce in the grocery store is expensive and covered with wax and other things to make it shiny. This grosses me out as I have to consume this garbage. It is also much more expensive to buy produce in the grocery store than it is to grow your own.

Ask a Question