What is the yellow flower?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I found this on a Hungarian site, which wasn't helpful at all to ID the smaller yellow flower mixed in with the petunias. But it looks very nice and something I might consider mixing in my hanging baskets this summer.
petunia.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1610497424685.png
Bidens Bee Yellow Crown produces a dense carpet of vibrant single daisy-like yellow flowers on a bed of luscious fern-like foliage. Its sweet honey scent is sure to delight where it will also attract bees and butterflies. A compact but heavy flowering plant, it is ideal for hanging baskets, patio pots and containers.

I copied and pasted the above information as a matter of interest, but thought of this plant first because it`s one I used to grow when I had the garden business. It was such a good one for the baskets I planted for sale :)

The flowers certainly look very similar, it is hard to be sure from photos isn`t it @SeniorCitizen. Lasthenia is not a plant I am familiar with, but it looks like it is endemic to the USA. The OP found the original picture on a Hungarian site ..... the plot thickens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Sorry for the late reply. But I'm pretty certain it's Bidens ferulifolia 'Peter's Gold Carpet'. All of the other possibilities had more than 5 petals to the flower, and the yellow flowers definitely have 5 petals.

c8517f.jpg

They're mixed with petunias at this site:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Mmm I thought so. It really is a very popular plant for baskets, and was a popular one for mine when I was running the nursery.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Oops, fixed the image not showing in the above post. Now I just have to figure out where I can find that particular Bidens. I'd much prefer buying locally, but do buy a few things online that I can't find near me.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here you can easily find seeds - that way you get a lot more for your money. I found them easy to grow, and they germinate quite quickly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks for that info, I did just find a place that sells seeds. I rigged up grow lights a few years back using cheap PVC tubing and start quite a few from seeds indoors each spring, so I'll just add this to the list.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6/7
Country
United States
Thanks for that info, I did just find a place that sells seeds. I rigged up grow lights a few years back using cheap PVC tubing and start quite a few from seeds indoors each spring, so I'll just add this to the list.
If you could share where you found the
Scientific Name: Bidens ferulifolia Peters Gold Carpet
Common Name: Peters Golden Carpet

seeds available i'd appreciate it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The site doesn't say the exact name, but the picture shows the 5-petaled flower, so I figured I'd take a chance. None of the other seeds that I found matched the flower.

Edit: Here's one more site that I just found that looks like it could be the correct flower:

Reaction score
Country
United States
Fern-leaved Beggarticks (Bidens ferulifolia, possibly synonymous with B. aurea) is a trailing perennial daisy (Asteraceae) in the Coreopsis tribe (Coreopsideae). It is native to Mexico, Guatemala and Arizona. Many similar cultivars have been selected. Cold hardiness is sometimes claimed to 10º F, with plants being grown as annuals elsewhere.

Ask a Question