What is the Strangest Thing You Have Found While Gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
A long time ago when I was helping my mother in her garden, I managed to dig up a small bean bag, the ones that you use for a game toss, so I was just curious what the strangest things you have found while digging around in your garden are?

Reaction score
What I have found when digging over new spots are bones. Lots of bones. I have, in fact, almost managed to reconstruct a horse. They were buried fairly shallow and scattered over a large area so I am guessing some animals ate it and it was reclaimed by the earth after that. As we do have cougars in the area, they would munch on a horse. Even managed to guess the cause of death as there appeared to be a bullet hole in the skull. While rusty cans are common, the horse definitely was a surprise.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Two small holes in my left hand while picking bush beans and then seeing a copperhead slithering away

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
When I was a child, I found a few porcelain figurines and glass bottles in my parents' garden. Before the World War I, there was a rubbish dump in that area, so if you dig really deep, you can find many interesting things. It's pretty exciting:)

Reaction score
I was digging the garden a bit a long time ago, back when I still lived with my parents. I was very young and this part of the soil was untouched. I guess I dug too deep because I found a really old and odd looking lamp. It was so odd! It looked kinda like Aladdin's lamp, lol. It looked good for being something made of metal that had been buried in the soil for only G-d knows how long!

Reaction score
I've come across some fairly odd items in the gardens that I've had - like socks, stockings, mop heads, pan lids, various pieces of cutlery and even some cress growing in a sealed jar that still looked incredibly healthy - even though it had been underground for many years :(

However until moving to where I live now - I'd never come across anything quite as strange - as the vast quantities of what looked to be human teeth and jaw bones that I kept finding every time I did work in the garden and although at first my imagination was running riot as to how they got there and I was wondering if I was living on site where some kind of mass murder had taken place - I later found out that the previous owner kept horses and pigs - which when they deceased he buried in the garden.

Reaction score
Once I found half of a baseball, it was a real one not a wiffle. It almost looked like someone cut it in half, I found it rather impressive. Lots of kids live in my Mom's neighborhood, I have my large garden at her house, so I figure maybe one of them did it.

Reaction score
The weirdest thing I found while gardening was a bent spoon. I have no idea how it got there and it was buried really deep, too! I don't know anybody who buries spoons for fun. I am pretty sure my dog didn't do it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
11b
Country
Philippines
I found, among other things, a whole rubber slipper. There are bottle caps and candy wrappers as well, but I think that's just leftover trash from the previous owners of our house. I had to do some serious tilling and de-weeding when I finally got around to the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Claudine- I should dig in your area that sounds like a lot of fun. I love treasure hunts!

Reaction score
When digging up a sandbox recently to put down grass seed, I found two glass butterflies, a shovel, an action figure, and four toy dinosaurs. It kept it entertaining. I never knew what I would find next.

Reaction score
I once had to dig a hole for my compost pit at one end of my garden and found the skeleton of some animal which had either been buried or died there. It wasn't a pleasant experience because the bones had a weird stench but having started digging the hole, I couldn't stop.

Reaction score
I found a neat little metal ornament. It's shaped like the American flag. We cleaned it off and hung it in the house. Who knows where it came from or how long it was out there.

Reaction score
I once had to dig a hole for my compost pit at one end of my garden and found the skeleton of some animal which had either been buried or died there. It wasn't a pleasant experience because the bones had a weird stench but having started digging the hole, I couldn't stop.

I hate those types of projects, where you start it thinking it is going to be an easy fix, and then somewhere it goes terribly wrong and you can't stop because it won't get better until it gets worse. What a crazy story.

Ask a Question