The Strangest Bug

Reaction score
I came across a bazaar looking insect in my garden this summer. It looked like a praying mantis, but it was gray and had rather large eyes. Besides the fact that it was only about five inches tall, I could swear it looked kind of like those aliens we hear about. Weird?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Like this?

cell phone pics 020.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
What is this creature, R.R.? It's terrifying, just looking at this picture scares me:eek:
ACSAPA - I don't think it's a walking stick. My sister and I, we had a few walking stick bugs when we were children and they were very small and thin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I think that's a Giant Walking Stick, the largest species in North America and more common throughout the Midwest/South. They're actually really harmless despite their huge size. Only the ones in Florida supposedly fly.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I like walking sticks, but I don't think that's a walking stick. It looks to fat, but I could be wrong. My daughter and the girl across the street were fighting over a bug this summer. The girl was like OMG IT'S A STICK BUG AHHHH. My daughter was all calm and told her that it was simply a locust casing. Then, there was another bug that she swore was a stink bug, but I had no idea what it was, so I vacuumed it because it was creepy looking. Let me go find a picture.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh. Creepy. It was a stink bug. I'm not a person to be creeped out by bugs, but this thing is so creepy.

Attachments

• stink bug.jpg
    stink bug.jpg
    5.5 KB · Views: 328
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Oh, I'll pass on the mating sticks. *shivers* Wait, does the female eat the male like the praying mantis does? It's like thank you for the procreation, I need a snack now.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That is a walking stick. In Texas they come in 2 colors and 2 sizes. The grey one of R.R.'s which is the smaller variety and the green one's. The green variety grows to about a foot long and the grey to maybe 8". They live in trees mostly. The green ones in cedar or juniper and the grey ones in oak. They are harmless. They also are rather strange in that if you cut one of them in half each half will go its on separate way. Sometimes for hours or until the fire ants catches it. They eat foliage. About 10 years ago a bunch of the green ones ate most of the leaves off of one of my peach trees. But all in all they are just an oddity and don't do too much harm. When I was a kid we would race them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh. Creepy. It was a stink bug. I'm not a person to be creeped out by bugs, but this thing is so creepy.
Actually, I think that this bug is kind of cute:) If it's small, I wouldn't be scared of it. I like it much more than the giant walking stick from the first picture:eek:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Actually, I think that this bug is kind of cute:) If it's small, I wouldn't be scared of it. I like it much more than the giant walking stick from the first picture:eek:
Let's see how much you like it after it destroys you rose buds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Let's see how much you like it after it destroys you rose buds
It can destroy rose buds?:(
Some time ago, I found a bug like this on one of my miniatures. It was just sitting on it. I didn't want to harm the little creature, so I tossed it outside:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It can destroy rose buds?:(
Some time ago, I found a bug like this on one of my miniatures. It was just sitting on it. I didn't want to harm the little creature, so I tossed it outside:)
Yes, they can do rose bushes great harm. Look up Brown Marmorated Stink Bug roses. And they are all over Poland

Ask a Question