The Strangest Bug

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
United States
And I thought we had scary bugs in the North. Seriously i would not like to find a bug that looks like that looking at me. We do get many preying mantis's though, they are protected so you just leave them alone. I was told as a child they could snap your finger. I don't know if that's true or not.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
OMG bugs scare me the most out of anything and I would of freaked if I saw anything of what you described or was shown! That is one thing that I hate about enjoying gardening so much is the bugs. I don't mind the typical ants, potato bugs, etc but don't get me around and unfamiliar creepy crawlers! Not my cup of tea :)

Reaction score
OMG bugs scare me the most out of anything and I would of freaked if I saw anything of what you described or was shown! That is one thing that I hate about enjoying gardening so much is the bugs. I don't mind the typical ants, potato bugs, etc but don't get me around and unfamiliar creepy crawlers! Not my cup of tea :)
It's amazing how creepy bugs can be. It's almost like we're hard wired to get the hibby jibbies when we see a strange one. Funny thing is that they should be the ones taking flight when they see us.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 5b
That bug is huge! We only have the smaller ones around here. They're quite harmless though. Although they are big, they're usually more afraid of you than you are of it. :D I used to search around in trees to find them, but they would always run away when I tried to catch them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States

I love tater bugs! I taught my daughter about how they curl up when you touch them. It took me forever to get her to touch it. Now, she gets down in the dirt looking at different bugs and examines them. I just to poke the tater bugs with sticks when I was like to watch them roll. We called them rolly polly bugs. Oh, and those stink bugs I posted are not small. I've seen them about the size of a quarter in my yard. I hate when they are in my house because if they get squished they stink so bad.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I did not know stink bugs harmed rose bushes. I will have to pay more attention to the bugs on my roses this coming spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The insect pictured in the second post is indeed a female Giant Walking-stick (Megaphasma dentricus, Diapheromeridae, Phasmatodea). These insects are generalist herbivores. The species ranges throughout the central and southern parts of the United States and southward into Mexico. The can grow to lengths of 7 inches (18 centimeters) and are claimed to be the longest insect in North America.

Ask a Question