What is the Strangest Thing You Have Found While Gardening?

Reaction score
I hate those types of projects, where you start it thinking it is going to be an easy fix, and then somewhere it goes terribly wrong and you can't stop because it won't get better until it gets worse. What a crazy story.
Well some times you have no choice but to keep going once you've started. Supposing you were to fill up the hole and choose another part of the garden and find more bones?

Maybe the good thing that saved me that day, is that I'm not easily nauseated by bad smells. Someone else wouldn't have managed to stand his/her ground.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I have a very heavy picnic table behind my greenhouse and that is where I keep my mess out of peoples view. So last year I was back there looking for something and found a deer's leg. I was immediately angry at my neighbour but kept it to myself. I'm sure his dog drug it over. My neighbour is a hunter and he butchers his kills in his garage. I'm cool with that, he make great tasting deer sausage and hunting is in my blood, I'm half Cree.
So I took his deer leg and propped it up against his garage door.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Well done you. Cant beat that I don't think johnny but when we moved here, some of the ground was just builders rubbish covered in soil and took a lot of work to shift. Once we got to the bottom I found an old "Potty". I don't know the name for these things abroad though...(the pots years ago that were left under the bed for night time usage instead of toilet) :);).

Anyway I was actually going to use it as a planter ha ha but then took it to my local antique/brick a brace shop and they gave me €5 for it. Always wondered, if it was old and should I have kept it? Will never know now :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Ha ha ha ha ha....Oh johnny my eyes are weeping here lol :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

I looked it up and apparently one of the names is the "Chamber Pot"....,,:sick:.

Needs must I suppose! ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
An old chamber pot would have made a great planter!

This has been on my keyring since 1996. I found it when digging out a flower bed. Solid steel with a hard plastic handle. A toy from the 1950s perhaps?
IMG_20170323_105649.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Wow Beth_B :)
Great find and possibly.
I'm very vintage and when I buy (clothing/bags), I always think, where was this piece before I had it, what has it seen? If I were a fly on the wall? :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I like old things too, @Lollipop ! The table the keys are on is from the 1940s, I got it from an old bar that was closing down. Under the varnish are railroad-related newspaper articles from the early - mid 1880s.
IMG_20170323_122328.jpg
IMG_20170323_122316.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
So how about 5 Cobblers Lasts? All broken. Or an old pushchair, still upright (sans infant) buried in refuse, or a pair of ancient glasses? Most valuable? A 1904 brand new penny. We reckon to have removed something over 30 tons of rubbish from this garden and still the moles bring up more.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
Alright, this is a story that happened with my dad's best friend and not me.
My dad's best friend's home town at the edge of Thar and Cholistan desert and they have a family farm near that place. Theirs is a joint family and the entire family is in lots of trades from farming to politics and real estate.
At one edge of their farm was a tiny hill/dune. They decided to dig up that dune and to use that soil to level up their field.
On digging up the dune, they found clay toys and figurines and lots of clay pot lids.
As it turned out, that was a part of an old settlement dated during the Harappan civilisation/Indus valley civilisation that existed 5000 years ago!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Alright, this is a story that happened with my dad's best friend and not me.
My dad's best friend's home town at the edge of Thar and Cholistan desert and they have a family farm near that place. Theirs is a joint family and the entire family is in lots of trades from farming to politics and real estate.
At one edge of their farm was a tiny hill/dune. They decided to dig up that dune and to use that soil to level up their field.
On digging up the dune, they found clay toys and figurines and lots of clay pot lids.
As it turned out, that was a part of an old settlement dated during the Harappan civilisation/Indus valley civilisation that existed 5000 years ago!!!

Wow! Did anyone excavate further? What happened to the artifacts?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
India
They reported to the archaeological survey of India. They sent a team, continued excavation for a couple of years... Sealed off that land and took everything that was found with them.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
5,000 years well beats the Tudor house from around 400 years ago which we found here. they re-used the bricks from it when they built some other houses in the early 1800's. We still find recognisable Tudor size house bricks, some in good condition too.
We did find one flint scraper though which is pre-history.

Ask a Question