What is Jackson Pollock doing to my tomato plants?

Reaction score
Country
United States
What dis is?

1000004754.jpg
1000004753.jpg
1000004752.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am trying to work out where you are. Anguilla is the flag shown - which is an Island in the Caribbean, but Kdkd shows another place? It would help to know this.
It does look like tomato mosaic virus to me. Do you smoke ??

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you have messed up your profile on the forum. It may be a good idea to correct it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, but back to the tomatoes - do you use tobacco? It's just that it can transfer to tomato plants and cause a similar problem to the one showing on your plants.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ok, but back to the tomatoes - do you use tobacco? It's just that it can transfer to tomato plants and cause a similar problem to the one showing on your plants.

Hmm... well I smoke weed in the bathroom with the fan on at the other end of the house, and it's pulling air from outside, so not that.

But I do chew Copenhagen. Only way that would interact is if I touched it, and it's in too many areas

I feel like this just started happening in the last 3 or 4 days.

I have fear it's septoria, I got it bad this summer and realized today it might have been stupid to pull air from outside... if that's what this is... but it does look a bit different, could be no rain septoria... hope not and think not.

Something or other 'wilt' from Google looked most similar, a fungus. I run the humidity at 75 to 85 percent in day and 65 to 75 at night, but they are getting dense so maybe lowering it is smart. Temp is usually about equal.

I think I was underwatering. Each one seems to take a gallon a day now. I water till each plant drains a bit, usually 1 inch wait 5 minutes and do that 3 times to achieve a spread and drain.

I am trying to give them a dose of Neptune's harvest once a week, and cal mag 420... I just eyeball it dense and water it in... half a pint of neptune, half a pint of water, 420... spread across 8 plants in 5 gallon buckets, then more water... 5 gallon is too small for san marzono by the way, but that's another story.

Lemme know what you think. More picks from yesterday... sucks to build this system and not attain perfection, about 10 to 20 percent have blossom end root, the rest look beautiful, but oddly the plants seem to be producing differently. Definitely got greedy on the type of tomato and letting suckers go for more fruit.

1000004735.jpg
1000004728.jpg
1000004729.jpg

1000004734.jpg

More earlier picks
1000004214.jpg
1000004243.jpg
1000004218.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well if you have that rubbish on your fingers it will have given your plants mosaic virus. As well as that you are inviting Cancer amongst other ailments for yourself.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well if you have that rubbish on your fingers it will have given your plants mosaic virus. As well as that you are inviting Cancer amongst other ailments for yourself.
Hope not. Man, gardening is hard. Well, it's really just tomatoes, these little bitches are tough.

Guess I need to wash more.

Whatever it is, hoping it won't get too bad since it never rains. Might get the first crop and start thinking about replanting with a determanent plum tomato.

Gonna have to deal with septoria outside this year, what a nightmare that was... I had perfect 5 foot tomato plants, pink fang and mortgage lifter... I bought an infected tomato plant it it decimated them. Still got decent crop, mortgage lifters got 12 feet tall in 10 gallon bucket, but septoria just kept climbing, tried everything... debating how much of my potting soil I should junk... if it is going to come back anyway, probably none... but its the biggest possible source left. Ultimately, I'm probably screwed on that disease, hope I don't have another, lol.

Anyway, learned a lot... first crop outside and first crop in tent this year... second times the charm.

All input welcome.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Bama here...Tetters is probably right. At least every time I have checked her out she has been right. She was in larger scale propagation for years. Knows more about inside growing than most. Operates many greenhouses. Anyway I am familiar with your silver lid and wanted to say not only is that an unpastuerized vector for disease but so are all the trees and such around you that have dropped what amounts to hotly loaded biological material for compost (or just to get on your shoes) because the leaves and drops hosted all the fungi and virus and bacteria across the season. Clean rooms like you are running need a pastuerizarion portal or you will lose out to nature every time.

You have to give those little spores credit. They are really good at what they do. What you will find really maddening is that when you kill off one fungi another is very likely to find a way to fill the void. Some here attract trichoderma as it mostly helps in the biowars.

They look crowded. Maybe you should expand? I would try to lower temps and humidity because you and I live in a severe pressure zone for pathogens and have you ever noticed how little trouble we have in April-May but how much we have in May-June-July as temps and humidity start pegging out the meters?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@smitty55

The internet said 75 to 85 is best, what's best?

@DirtMechanic

Thanks for the advice, yeah I got greedy and let sucks grow, 4 to 6 big ones per plant so started spreading things.

Disease is a bitch, how do you really sanitize soil? I can't just throw out all this potting soil from like year, it's like almost a pallet of for farm, good stuff. I was gonna mix it all up from my 5 to 10 gallon buckets, in a 200 gallon bucket... add some shit literally... then send off for a soil test... but if it's got septoria and mosaic, I'm screwed.

What kills spores best for sanitizing after this crop? Bleach I would guess... but if it's old dirt then screwed anyway. Yikes, disease sucks.

Agreed, my tomatos did great at the start last year.

What's pasteurized? How do you milk a tomato plant? trichodermatitis is what?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If you are in Georgia, why does your profile say Anguilla? Not sure I understand that one.

If it isn't tobacco mosiac virus, then it's a magnesium deficiency. Could be low levels of magnesium or the pH is way off. Could even be a ventilation issue since it looks like yours is in a sealed environment and your trying to hold way too much humidity.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you are in Georgia, why does your profile say Anguilla? Not sure I understand that one.

If it isn't tobacco mosiac virus, then it's a magnesium deficiency. Could be low levels of magnesium or the pH is way off. Could even be a ventilation issue since it looks like yours is in a sealed environment and your trying to hold way too much humidity.
Yeah, it's tough.

Sorry I deal with close to 1000 pieces of software always trying to gather personal information. I only give real data for critical services... the rest is persona. I'm an Angolanease on this site, apparently.

Ask a Question