What in the heck is going on here? Carolina reaper first time grower question

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hey you guys. I'm hoping someone has come across this issue besides me. A little back story. I tried growing Carolina Reapers about two years ago and a heat wave wiped them out. So i tried again and planted them way to late in the season so i invested in a 150 watt LED grow light (Full Spectrum). Now I have been playing around with the intensity adjustment and height of the lights. Well long story short. I seen some flower pods and put up the intensity of the light. Did I start a mission to kill my plants. What in the world are these dark spots about? Is it a light issue, nutrient? I don't know what it is or how to google the issue. I'm hoping someone here has run into the issue. Is it burn marks?

20221216_091625.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It is a little early to tell for sure. It is not a watering issue. It is possible but not probable that it could be nitrogen toxicity. My best guess at this time is you had the plant too close to the light and possibly too intense. Is there anything showing on the other side of the leaf? Otherwise, your plant looks really good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks like light at first glance to me.

For light the units of energy are mass·speed². Photons dont weigh much but they move fast. Getting close to a point source gives a lot more photons than you might expect. Thats why Lumens and Candle Power are measured by a square foot that is once foot away. Those PAR meters the hydro folks use are useful to range the lighting. There may even be references to wattage vs distance by plant tyle out there somewhere. Other than stuff like that you can watch the plant and learn your system over time. Having different kinds of lights can make that pretty tough.

They look pretty healthy. Maybe like @Chuck says about the nutrients but that could be camera color or the light Kelvins for all I know. If you are on the Nitrogen train its best to slow it down during cool times.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The way the dark spots are so separated and individual is strange, as though small drops of something landed on it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The bottom leaf looks light burnt; how far is the LED from the plant?
A cheap lux meter could help you get an understanding of how far the LED should be placed.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks you guys for the reply's. Sorry, work night shift so took me awhile to reply

@Chuck Nothing on the bottom side. Just on top. I know pepper leaves do turn purplish depending on the species. Not sure if this is how it begins looking.

@DirtMechanic Thanks for the advice :)

@Oliver Buckle Nothing landed on it. I just put 10% more intensity to the lights

@succulentsplants 18 inches is how I got it

So I basically burnt them is what it comes down to. I was really unsure cause some pepper plants got dark/purple leafss and I was wondering if this is how it starts out. I think we can all vote on that I burnt them right? Thank you guys for the replys again or else I would have been stuck in myself, running around like a madman.

Here is my little setup by the way.
20221217_093743.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks you guys for the reply's. Sorry, work night shift so took me awhile to reply

@Chuck Nothing on the bottom side. Just on top. I know pepper leaves do turn purplish depending on the species. Not sure if this is how it begins looking.

@DirtMechanic Thanks for the advice :)

@Oliver Buckle Nothing landed on it. I just put 10% more intensity to the lights

@succulentsplants 18 inches is how I got it

So I basically burnt them is what it comes down to. I was really unsure cause some pepper plants got dark/purple leafss and I was wondering if this is how it starts out. I think we can all vote on that I burnt them right? Thank you guys for the replys again or else I would have been stuck in myself, running around like a madman.

Here is my little setup by the way.View attachment 93753
FYI, purple leaves are an indication of a phosphorus deficiency and nothing like what your plants are showing. Also some peppers do show an extremely dark purple, almost black, on leaves and stems but this is genetic.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
By the by, if you make a box around it and paint the inside brilliant white you will get a lot more light for your bucks. People tend to use aluminium foil, but apparently brilliant white emulsion is more reflective, and cheaper.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
By the by, if you make a box around it and paint the inside brilliant white you will get a lot more light for your bucks. People tend to use aluminium foil, but apparently brilliant white emulsion is more reflective, and cheaper.
There are two trains of thought on the brilliant white paint vs tin foil. The way I understand it is that the white paint reflects more light but the crumpled tinfoil disburses or distributes the light better. But the tin foil has to be crumpled.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Since plants love that blue and red wavelength you have me curious. Maybe the white balance is too low and it absorbs because black pigment?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Since plants love that blue and red wavelength you have me curious. Maybe the white balance is too low and it absorbs because black pigment?
I don't know. I don't grow under lights myself, but I have a couple of friends who do and they both swear by it, and I have seen it recommended elsewhere.

Just looked on the web; they say the difference in light reflectivity is minimal, but foil also reflects dark objects, creases easily, tears easily and tarnishes. They are also talking about 'white' paint and paper. I think brilliant white is a bit more reflective, but it can't be much as they are talking 85-90% reflectivity. Foil may tarnish, but paint will discolour, however a fresh coat of paint is simpler than replacing foil. Some people seem to think the diffusion and heat transference effects are important too.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Here's thought - instead of asking us about a relatively new plant, why not ask PuckerButt? Ed Currie developed the Carolina Reaper and founded the company. Their website has a lot of information on growing, from germination to harvest, with a section on light. (FYI, for artificial light he recommends T5 fluorescent.)

I grew a Carolina Reaper last year in our raised beds. It was an odd growing year here - things got going late. It grew to nearly 4 ft tall. The Leaves were a beautiful rich deep green - much darker than yours in the photos. It had hundreds of blooms, probably thousands in all, but only 1 or 2 set. Then towards the end of the season the started setting like crazy. Unfortunately only a handful got any size to them and only 2 ripened on the plant. So when the danger of frost was imminent, I picked them all, even the tiny 1/2 inch ones. I put them in a large brown bag and eventually every one of them ripened - all 200+ of them! I won't be growing Carolina Reapers again for a long time. I made sauce - more of a paste consistency - and a very very little goes a very very long way! The flavor is excellent, but it is extremely hot.

Interestingly, I also grew a Mad Hatter right next to it. The hottest and the mildest chilies right next to each other! It was prolific all season long!! I got hundreds of gorgeous ones. Again I had issues with them ripening, but the paper bag method worked great. They also have excellent flavor, either green or red, but virtually no heat (I call them the chili hater's chili) and are excellent thinly sliced in salads, on sandwiches, etc. They are very crisp and crunchy, even retaining their crunch after cooking. We even sprinkle them on charcuterie boards for parties and people love them. We will definitely be growing them again every year.

Incidentally, the reflectivity of aluminum foil is higher than paint over the entire spectrum - in addition to being a non organic finish, which is higher anyway. Organic finishes absorb more light - including in the UV (required for photosynthesis) and IR (heat) frequencies. There is not a huge difference in the reflectivity and absorption coefficients of different colors outside the visible range - except black, but that is due to the fact that virtually all black pigments are carbon which itself has slightly higher coefficients.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr I did try asking PuckerButt honestly. Sent a email with no reply. That's how I ended up here. I got that tent now. Stuff seems to be ok. Just trying to figure out all the things that plants need. Thx for the info :) Everytime I grow these things they end up getting messed up. Now it's a mission to grow these things right lol

Ask a Question