What group does this stinker come from?

Reaction score
Country
United States
No. I have a woman growing wild in my woods. She gives me "things" like that plant. Did you notice the dwarf statuary? Same thing really.

Then I crawl up the mountain where @zigs evidently is ensconced in a turban situation. It appears his hair cannot escape, and from his predicament he haspassed on knowledge. I have to assess it all of course and make all allowance for the commentary of Mrs Zigs.

LOL someone got into the edibles.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Becky was busy this weekend with ferns and such in the area of the voodoo plant. We had taken out a lot of the original plants from the 1970zzz

Attachments

• IMG_20190408_125518.jpg
    IMG_20190408_125518.jpg
    439.8 KB · Views: 219
  • IMG_20190408_125557.jpg
    IMG_20190408_125557.jpg
    432.8 KB · Views: 209
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Amorphophallus konjac. The smaller cousin of Amorphophallus titanum. I am glad really, it is very close to the front door and smells like a dead squirrel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
From above. I note that a lot of lily prospers at a tree root. I suspect consistent moisture. Mondo and other liriope do best as they do not like any oddball stress. I wish they were robust.
IMG_20190409_114800.jpg

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Amorphophallus konjac, an aroid. Originally from China/Japan. Tuber is edible. Leaf follows after flower. In the UK I keep in cold greenhouse, flowers currently developing. Have one outside in warm border not sure how it will do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Amorphophallus konjac, an aroid. Originally from China/Japan. Tuber is edible. Leaf follows after flower. In the UK I keep in cold greenhouse, flowers currently developing. Have one outside in warm border not sure how it will do.
Thanks for that, and I am sure that I am not going to eat anything that smells that strongly.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
This is our Arum Lily, it smells good to flies, which crawl down the spathe and get trapped by hairs pointing the wrong way. So they fly about inside it and get covered in pollen.

DSCF1383.JPG
DSCF1383.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
This is our Arum Lily, it smells good to flies, which crawl down the spathe and get trapped by hairs pointing the wrong way. So they fly about inside it and get covered in pollen.

View attachment 52145View attachment 52145
I sincerely hope it is not outside your kitchen window. I have literally had years go by thinking there was a dead squirrel on the property and it was the voodoo lilies my sweetie planted because they appear interesting. If my confidence in my pellet rifle were higher, I might have made the nasal connection sooner. I dearly hope it has a most interesting flower, given that unlike spraying a insect spray, a bathroom spray is probably most appropriate.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
:poop:
Amazing! Never seen a life one in my life! People have to flock to Kew Garden to see or smell it when it's in bloom - a ticket draw!
I think that is the big one, the one called titanum. And its good they isolate it. :poop:

Ours has already gone by at this point. The leaf is still there but the rest is senecent.

NigelJ

Still Learning
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Senescent means old, past it. If the fertilisation doesn't take place these flowers collapse rapidly a bit like a balloon with a slow leak. If fertilised a central drum stick of "berries" remains. The large decorative leaf lasts until autumn if there is sufficient water.

Ask a Question