Andre Previn dies aged 89.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
For many he'll only be remembered for his participation in the Greig's Concerto sketch by Morecambe and Wise.
I can remember first hearing him play when I was in my teens.
The Modern Jazz drummer, Shelly Manne, (it was he who played the drums for Frank Sinatra in the film "The Man With the Golden Arm" and also on Peggy Lee's recording of "Fever.") made a number of albums with "his friends," his "pals" or his men, as the other musicians were sometimes described in the titles.
One of them was modern jazz interpretations of the songs from "My Fair Lady."
At the time, no public performances of the songs either live, by other artists, or on radio or TV were allowed in this country, until after the show opened in the West End. Yet this album was already on sale and I bought one. I guess "jazz didn't count."
I've still got the original album, but it's seen better days so I did buy the CD of it... must be thirty years ago now.

Here's one of the songs from the LP, despite it being sixty year's old, I still find it quite emotive.
Shelly Manne, drums
Leroy Vinnegar, bass
Andre Previn, piano.

It was the best selling jazz album at the time.
Leroy Vinnegar later complained that he only got a session fee for his contribution.

When Manne was asked about this. He said to the effect "that was the music business."
He said he in turn, got just the standard union rate for playing the drums on Peggy Lee's hit record "Fever." ...$25.

Ask a Question