Natural remedies with herbs

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've got a seriously killer sore throat right now - it's a product of the changing seasons, I believe.

It got me thinking about whether there are any good natural remedies that I might find in my garden.

Do you know of any herbs that are helpful for sore throats - or any ailments, come to think of it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've got a seriously killer sore throat right now - it's a product of the changing seasons, I believe.

It got me thinking about whether there are any good natural remedies that I might find in my garden.

Do you know of any herbs that are helpful for sore throats - or any ailments, come to think of it?
If you grow holy basil boil it in water and gargle it.

Reaction score
My favorite natural remedy for a sore throat is fresh apple juice boiled with mint leaves. Once you remove the apple juice from the heat, you simply add a bit of honey. It helps my throat out so much. I also enjoy the tea "throat coat" when having a sore throat. I can't remember all of the herbs in it, but I want to say there is licorice.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
In my opinion the best natural remedy for a sore throat is honey. Have a cup of hot, raspberry tea and add some honey to it. I don't think herbs will help you.

Reaction score
My mom loved to give me honey with some lemon, it had to be a bit warm though. I ate it with a spoon, but if you really want to get rid of the sore throat then try with some marshmallows. I know it sounds crazy, but it works!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
Serbia
There is a recipe with cumin seeds but i am not sure you have those in your garden. If you have you need to ground them finely ( 80 grams), you will need 250 ml of fresh water and a tablespoon of Konyak (liquor) .
Put 200 ml of water on cumin seeds and bring it to boil and let it boil for 15 minutes. You will get black gooey liquid that you will need to drain and to add on it the rest of water (50 ml). Let it boil again. remove from heat and add the Konyak. That is all. You will have one tablespoon of this remedy every 30 minutes. It is very good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I don't know if this falls under herbs. Honey is what we use for sore throat. Put a piece of crushed garlic in a tablespoon of honey and drink it - do not chew the garlic so the odor will not stick in your mouth. My sister uses honey in a different way. She would mix a spoon of honey in a half glass of warm water and drink it slowly. Honey is very good for the throat. I know of some singers who take honey everyday - a tablespoon in the morning and in the evening as well.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If you grow holy basil boil it in water and gargle it.

I second holy basil. If you think you can stand the odd taste, holy basil and honey would also be good to coat your throat.

If you're desperate for something right now, I'd recommend a tea that I found a few years ago called Traditional Medicinals Throat Coat. Drinking a big cup of that with some honey really does the trick.

Reaction score
That's a little something else, but if you have any problems in your mouth - dental issues, scars etc and it needs to heal immediately than you should chew sage.
My mother had bad gum infections and the dentist told her to wait until it gets better and then they can do the work on her teeth, she rubbed sage in her gums and chewed the leaves every day and the scars went away in a few days. With medication it's a few weeks.

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
A good cure for a sore throat is lemon and honey with a herbal tea like rooibos. It is soothing for your throat. Other things that I can think of are cinnamon too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
My go to remedy is lemon juice and honey! Or apple cider vinegar and honey! Both of these have worked for me. Hope you feel better!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Winter tonic! Mix in your blender: Apple cider vinegar, ginger root, horseradish root, cayenne pepper, and garlic. Pour it into a mason jar and let it sit for 2 weeks, shaking every day. After this you can strain it if you want, or just let the contents settle. Take a Tablespoon a day (or more if you feel a cold coming on). This is also a delicious condiment to eat over cabbage and greens in the winter. It is warming and boosts the immune system.

Ask a Question