What fruits can be grown from seed?

Reaction score
I would love to try growing a plant from an orange pip or from another fruit. Who has tried this and has been successful? It is possible to grow a plant from an avocado seed?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Orange, lemon & advocado will germinate quite easy. But the Avocado is a tree & not frost hardy in the uk.

Citrus can take 20 or more years to fruit, so you're better off getting a grafted one from a nursery.

Jed

Reaction score
I've sprouted an apricot pip from a tree with the sweetest apricots I've ever tried.
I've been told the tree should be the same as the parent.
Here's a noisy and badly produced youtube but shows you how to get stared with stone fruit trees.
Not all trees will be the same as the parent.

Reaction score
I tried to start an apple tree from the seeds out of my apple. So far no luck. I have a great apple tree in my yard and I would love to have another. I saved the seeds and dried them out like the internet said to. I have four of them planted in peat pots. I hope they do something but its been about ten days and nothing. I may just have to admit defeat and buy a new apple tree this spring.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
It'll be hit and miss as to what the fruit comes out like on a tree grown from seed, you might be lucky but it might be bitter.

Also there is no way of knowing how big the tree will grow, there is a wild one near me thats huge.

The apple trees you buy are clones grafted onto various rootstocks. These control the eventual size of the tree, from extremely dwarfing through to vigorous.

Cloning means that the fruit will be the same as the parent tree. Growing from seed will mean a long wait to see what you end up with. You might get a 30 foot tall tree with fruit you don't want to eat.

Reaction score
If I wanted the fruit, I'd certainly buy a dwarf rootstock tree from a nursery I trusted, but this thread has got me thinking - about sprouting, actually. I wonder if anyone has taken the apple/orange pips, whatever, and sprouted them? To eat the leaves, like when you sprout lentils or mung beans? Has anybody done that?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
If I wanted the fruit, I'd certainly buy a dwarf rootstock tree from a nursery I trusted, but this thread has got me thinking - about sprouting, actually. I wonder if anyone has taken the apple/orange pips, whatever, and sprouted them? To eat the leaves, like when you sprout lentils or mung beans? Has anybody done that?

Ooo no, don't do that. A lot of tree fruit kernels contain cyanogenetic glycosides, your body breaks these down into cyanide.

While we can tolerate small amounts of these, in larger amounts they can be fatal, a cup full of apple pips can kill you.

I think peach kernels have been used to poison arrow tips.

Reaction score
Oh my word o_Oo_Oo_O Well, I'm glad I posted the idea on here before I actually did it - and I'm glad you replied so fast, thank you! I had absolutely no idea about that! Makes me wonder about a post I saw on a homesteading site, actually, about making your own pectin - boiling up apple cores and then boiling off the excess liquid. Do you have any info on that?

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I'm glad you did too:D Dead members don't make very good posters.

Not made pectin from apples, but accidentally made a gallon of hawthorne wine set into a jelly by not adding pectolytic enzyme:D

The wild crab apples are much higher in pectin than the cultivated ones.

Reaction score
Can someone enlighten me on how to start growing from an avocado seed? I just used an avocado in cooking :)

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
They germinate in the compost bin readily enough, but i've seen them put in a vase so that they're half in water. Just left on the windowsill till they sprout.

Reaction score
Id love to make my own pectin. It would be so fun to do every step on to make jam as natural as possible. How do you make pectin from apples?

Reaction score
I've been very curious about growing avocados from the seed as well. I've seen or heard of people doing but not exactly sure how to. I may try to plant this along with my lemons and see what happens. Does anyone know if they grow well inside, as out summer seasons are short here!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Oh wow, I did not know that fruit pips can actually kill a person if consumed in such a small quanity! I have never tried eating them, but this is good to know! I guess you learn something new everyday!

Reaction score
Well about a week ago I wanted to give it a go so I planted an apple seed to see if it would grow and it has started to grow. I am pretty sure you can plant any kind of fruit from seed, as that is how most of them tend to grow. But as most people will tell you, it is much easier to just grow an already started plant from the nursery, else you would wait years for your tree to produce fruit.

Ask a Question