What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Seeing all these pics of amazing gardens on here makes me say to myself yep... No way in heck I'm posting a pic of mine 😂

Reaction score
Country
United States
50 years ago I worked hard 2 hours every day in my garden. Now I seldom work 5 minutes a day in the garden. It took 50 years to learn how to do an almost no maintenance garden. Once everything is planted there is 2 months of waiting to harvest day. I have 65 day crops, 90 day crops, 120 day crops. Harvest day is more work than the garden. I learned how to not have many weeds and grass. I never spray toxic poison for weeds or bugs. I learned not to have raised beds. I do ground level beds 3 rows of green beans spaced 18"between rows takes up less garden space than the old way 32" between rows. 3 rows of potatoes side by side also takes up less space than the old way 32" between rows. Strawberry beds are 32" wide 32 ft long with 380 plants. Tomato and pepper plants 18" between plants. Corn 5" seed spacing and 32"row spacing. 500 carrot seeds in a 10 gallon pot. Onion bed 32" by 32ft, 7 rows 4" between rows, 4" between each onion, 450 onions plants. Garlic bed is 100 plants. 3 rows of green beans, 18" between rows, 3" between seeds. Melons & cantaloupe 12" between seeds 20 seeds in a row, rake vines in a circle, melon bed is 8 ft wide 32 ft long. I get a lot of vegetables in a very small space. Never water the walk area. Only water vegetable plants. 3 rows of potatoes 32" long gets 120 gallons of water every time soil gets dry, about every 4 days. Water is low cost is cost me 61 cents for 120 gallons of water. Never try to kill very tiny weeds let them grow larger they are easier to kill. Keep hoe & shovel razor sharp on 3 edges, be careful never forget how razor sharp they are. Learn that each plants likes its own type fertilizer and certain amount of water and several plants need calcium for BER and certain plants are bug magnets that attract bugs to the whole garden. Every geographical location has its own, weather, soil, bugs, problems.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
We all started small at one point.

MOD
Don't get me wrong, I love my garden and property. I am personally not into fancy, I like to walk around my property and see a bit of wild nature like a natural forest. I have a nice lawn but beyond the view of that is something like you would picture in a forest. Lots of fruit and nut trees, hardwood and in between it all my garden. Beyond that is a large field that hasn't been worked in years full of wild flowers and that sits on the edge of a river that has some of the best fishing in Ontario. My property would never be on the front page of home and garden magazine, maybe Feild and stream lol but that's what I like about it. I don't do fancy, I am not that kind of guy but I do admire other people's perfectly groomed yards and gardens.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't get me wrong, I love my garden and property. I am personally not into fancy, I like to walk around my property and see a bit of wild nature like a natural forest. I have a nice lawn but beyond the view of that is something like you would picture in a forest. Lots of fruit and nut trees, hardwood and in between it all my garden. Beyond that is a large field that hasn't been worked in years full of wild flowers and that sits on the edge of a river that has some of the best fishing in Ontario. My property would never be on the front page of home and garden magazine, maybe Feild and stream lol but that's what I like about it. I don't do fancy, I am not that kind of guy but I do admire other people's perfectly groomed yards and gardens.

I like an all natural lawn with, dandelions, white clover, red clover, weeds that grow flowers, I grew up in the country an all natural lawn is home to me. Everyone else in the neighbor hood sprayed with weed killer there grass looked so fake like green carpet. Woman that lived next door complained that our lawn makes her eyes hurt. Other neighbors would say, where are you going to spray for weeds? One person said, someone should sue you for being an eye sore to the neighbor hood. I told that women, every yard in this neighborhood is an eye sore to me everyone has fake grass.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
... My property would never be on the front page of home and garden magazine, maybe Feild and stream lol but that's what I like about it. I don't do fancy,

Fancy is never something I strive for.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The garden today

Attachments

• IMG_8612.jpeg
    IMG_8612.jpeg
    254.4 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_8597.jpeg
    IMG_8597.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8596.jpeg
    IMG_8596.jpeg
    343.4 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8595.jpeg
    IMG_8595.jpeg
    275.2 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_8594.jpeg
    IMG_8594.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8593.jpeg
    IMG_8593.jpeg
    213.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8592.jpeg
    IMG_8592.jpeg
    356.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8590.jpeg
    IMG_8590.jpeg
    439.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8585.jpeg
    IMG_8585.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_8577.jpeg
    IMG_8577.jpeg
    141 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8571.jpeg
    IMG_8571.jpeg
    363.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8558.jpeg
    IMG_8558.jpeg
    166.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8560.jpeg
    IMG_8560.jpeg
    178.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8530.jpeg
    IMG_8530.jpeg
    445.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_5172.jpeg
    IMG_5172.jpeg
    140.7 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8633.jpeg
    IMG_8633.jpeg
    407.2 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_8632.jpeg
    IMG_8632.jpeg
    428.1 KB · Views: 13
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Mine is kind of a chaotic mess with a bit of everything.
I’m no landscaper ; I just like to grow things lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Love them! That rooster looks like an Easter egger I once had. Is that purple indica hiding behind the sativa in the pic?
It is! The 3 in the back I started too early and they tried to flower way earlier than they should have. I was able to get them out of flower mode but they aren’t looking as happy as the ones in front.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
Mine is kind of a chaotic mess with a bit of everything.
I’m no landscaper ; I just like to grow things lol
I think it's perfect! You and your family must love spending time out there, it doesn't get more relaxing then that. I have been wanting to put in a pond like that in the pic, it's definitely a project on my bucket list!

Reaction score
Country
Canada
It is! The 3 in the back I started too early and they tried to flower way earlier than they should have. I was able to get them out of flower mode but they aren’t looking as happy as the ones in front.
I have one like that I started too early and it started to flower. I left it inside for fun and now it looks like a foot tall Christmas tree with helecopter propellers lol
PXL_20230618_165154451.MP.jpg

PXL_20230614_175647268.MP.jpg

PXL_20230614_175124457.MP.jpg

Ask a Question