What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yep, winter is here! We got close to a foot of snow yesterday. :eek:

I think my asparagus is done for the year:
asparagus under snow.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
LOL. When that melts I'm cutting back the fronds and mulching over the bed.
You can just see the red berries peeking out...I'm going to put the fronds in my side yard for the birds.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Brrr, makes me feel cold just looking at that! We had a storm here last night, but it's still really mild - not even had frost recently.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
right now, due to all the rain, the leaves are so soaked , cannot remove them all yet. still raking out the lawn areas, when they finally dry. so yes will be raking in January. February.

Raking was one of my least favorite things to do. I stopped raking once I realized it was easier to chop them up with the lawnmower, and the leaves in my garden stay put, of course.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Raking was one of my least favorite things to do. I stopped raking once I realized it was easier to chop them up with the lawnmower, and the leaves in my garden stay put, of course.
Too many leaves for the lawn to handle , they need to be removed. I usually leave the leaves on the gardens for later anyway till about February etc. don't mind raking in the cold.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Too many leaves for the lawn to handle , they need to be removed.

Surely it can't be more than what I have! Leaves a foot high will shred to almost nothing if you go over them a few times. I mow them into a big pile and then mow them down to nothing. Extremely efficient with a riding lawnmower, but not too bad with a push mower either, if done a couple times during the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer , walking through the fallen leaves they are half the calf high. We use a ridding mower to chop them up, then take them to a pile down in the woods. the pile is 12 x12 , and there are two piles, one for this year and one from last year. As it takes two years to break down. When we have piled all we can humanly pile up, dragging tarps etc. they are at waist high. We found the grass does not grow with all the shreds of leaves left on the ground. We have leaves.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@JBtheExplorer , walking through the fallen leaves they are half the calf high. We use a ridding mower to chop them up, then take them to a pile down in the woods. the pile is 12 x12 , and there are two piles, one for this year and one from last year. As it takes two years to break down. When we have piled all we can humanly pile up, dragging tarps etc. they are at waist high. We found the grass does not grow with all the shreds of leaves left on the ground. We have leaves.

So weird! I've never had any problems with it. My leaf remains are so small they fall in between the grass blades and break down usually before the first snowfall. Well, you gotta do what works for you! (y)

Ask a Question