What does your garden look like ... Today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
The gardens look sad at this time of year don't they, but there's next spring to look forward to, the time will soon go! :)

Could you not put a net over the pond temporarily JB to catch the leaves?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I should've waited to share my garden, I just got done with a few changes. The vegetable garden extension is done. All of the bare dirt will be the vegetable area. I won't have much. A couple of tomato plants, a blueberry bush, native strawberries, peas, maybe pumpkins.

I also moved my firepit about 15' feet closer to the gardens, and I'm beginning to add another 6' x 6' extension to the native garden. Moving the fire pit was a huge addition to the garden. Now on cooler days when working in the garden I can just sit by the fire and enjoy it. This has become so much more than I ever imagined it to be!

IMG_4378 copy.jpg

Could you not put a net over the pond temporarily JB to catch the leaves?

Yes, I've considered adding net in Autumn. The biggest concern is having frogs get tangled in it, I may have a solution that I might try next year.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Just when I thought I was mostly done seed collecting, I noticed my neighbor threw a bunch of Purple Coneflower and Brown-eyed Susan seedheads in our shared burning pit, so I collected a bunch of them! Gotta love free plants!

IMG_4422 copy.jpg

The soil on the native garden bed looks wonderful, is it easy to work with?

Very easy to work with. We have fantastic dirt here in the midwest.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yes, I've considered adding net in Autumn. The biggest concern is having frogs get tangled in it, I may have a solution that I might try next year.

A friend of mine has a structure a bit like a small pergola around/above her pond and the "roof" of it has mesh screening to keep out leaves. It's absolutely brilliant because she is surrounded by trees!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Been windy here the past three days so plants have took a beating, but not too bad.

Here's the native garden. The Gaillardia and Rudbeckia continues to bloom. Most everything else is done for the season. Now I begin to impatiently wait to see how it looks next summer!

It was so miserably windy and gray here today it felt more like December than October! I can't imagine having to wait until next year to see things blooming again! We have petunias, snap dragons, and mums in at work now for fall planting and people are still asking for spring stuff!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Beautiful photos @Owdboggy (y) You have a lovely garden - it's huge! Must take a lot of work to keep everything looking so good :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
We've had a short stretch of cold, windy, cloudy days. Today's sunny and warm so I spent some time photographing the garden today.

Black-eyed Susans with Whorled Milkweed on the bottom left.
IMG_4453 copy.jpg

Spider with a meal.
IMG_4459 copy.jpg

Orange Milkweed Seed Pods.
IMG_4471 copy.jpg

A little bit of Autumn color.
IMG_4490 copy.jpg

My one blooming Brown-eyed Susan plant is nearing the end.
IMG_4497 copy.jpg

Some sort of Aster that I found growing in my fire pit and moved to the garden.
IMG_4500 copy.jpg

New Black-eyed Susans continue to open.
IMG_4503 copy.jpg

and lastly, a little scenic shot of part of the garden. As you can see, the majority of flowers are Black-eyed Susans now.
IMG_4486 copy.jpg

Ask a Question