What do your friends say about you liking gardening?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
When I first started gardening, I had a few friends and family that thought it was strange that I would put so much time and energy into growing vegetables, when I could go to the store. But on the flip slide, I had friends and family members that absolutely thought it was a cool and powerful move. Many of my naysayers have actually started vegetable gardens to help with their food budget, and guess who they called when they wanted to get started....yeah, me. So, keep doing what you're doing because like you said, "they don't know what they're missing."

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
If the friends don't share my interest in plants, they aren't friends very long! I've encountered two types of people-- those who say "that's a lot of work" and those who say "what plant is that and can I have a start?" The first get sent on their way, the second I embrace with open arms and share.
I love gardening, watching the difference the seasons bring, providing habitat for wildlife (except those pesky bunnies who love my green beans) and being outside, even in less than wonderful weather. I really feel sorry for folks who miss out on these joys, but I'm too busy in the gardens to spend time educating them.

Reaction score
Country
Nepal
In our neighborhood nobody cares about what I am doing in the garden. However, my family have high opinion about my gardening. They think gardening is making me a family man.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As a seventeen year old guy I never hear the end of it, but I typically go along with the joke by saying "I'm from Iowa; gardening is all we have" ( currently live in Illinois)

Reaction score
Country
Jamaica
Gardening was something that I used to be made fun of for. None of my friends understood why I would willing put my hand in the dirt especially with the "gross" earthworms in it. I ignored them, and I've made them eat their words when it came to my gardening. They've admitted it is great hobby to have and that my garden is indeed a lovely place even to just hang out and take a breather. With our little deck it's the perfect place on a hot summer's day. I especially like sitting out in the evenings and admire my little babies growing happily all around me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I retired 6 years ago and my male friends call me crazy for spending so much time working in the garden, its not work I keep telling them is fun and relaxing to me and it helps me stay in shape, and I get to be outside a lot.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I am very much a man, I spend most of my free time restoring muscle cars, participating in demolition derbies, bowling, deer hunting...and gardening. Everyone I know is well aware I love gardening, and I'm not ashamed. The stereotype that it's a feminine hobby is ridiculous.

While I'm debunking stereotypes of men, I can't stand to watch sports or the taste of beer, and everyone I know if well aware of that as well. Anyone who doesn't know me well and finds out about my love for gardening that tries to bust my chops is asked a simple question. I ask them if they watch sports, mainly football. When (and they always do) respond "Yes" I respond that it's not very manly to watch other guys wearing tights play games and run around and grab each other. That is usually the end of the conversation and since I have little interest in most people I don't mind never having to speak to them again...I'm a busy guy.

People that are my friends, the few I allow being an ultra rare introverted gear head/gardener, have actually gained interest as they have become home owners.

Ask a Question