What Do You Think Is In Store For Your Area This Winter?

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
Not that anyone of us has a crystal ball and can see what the winter will bring, what do you think now that we are heading into November 2015? Some people think it is going to be real wet this winter in our area.

For your area what do you think this winter is going to look like?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
So far its a wait and see winter, the last 3 winters they have been so far off, but I'll take what we get and enjoy it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It has been a wet fall so far for us, and very strong wind! I am guessing we will have quite a terrible winter here with lots of ice and wind.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm a pessimist, I think it will be a really cold winter. It's already cold and dark outside. Fortunately, I can grow all my plants indoors. They're doing great:)

Reaction score
From what I am seeing (slightly cold breezes, but not too much despite it's this time of the year now) is seems this winter might come to late, not sure if by November it will be here or not. It will probably be here by December :) This is my favorite time of the year, by the way! Might come late and go late just like last year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
All long range predictions for the Great Lakes region are calling for an el Nino-influenced warm winter, which will be a nice change. The last two winters have been horrendous. The polar freeze year before last and tons of snow, and last winter we broke all kinds of low temperature records, it was extremely cold. Like double digits below zero (Fahrenheit) many times, I think the coldest was 25 below not counting wind chill. Granted this is Michigan and we expect long, very cold winters but the last two were exceptionally nasty.
So far having a warm, rainy fall. Almost November and it's barely hit freezing a couple of times. Enough to do in some of my vegetables but many of my flowering annuals are still hanging in there and the kale and swiss chard is still going strong.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I've already reserved a space in the local insane asylum in anticipation of hearing what I consider to be the worst phrase in the English language...."polar vortex". :poop::poop::poop:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've already reserved a space in the local insane asylum in anticipation of hearing what I consider to be the worst phrase in the English language...."polar vortex". :poop::poop::poop:

LOL I hear you. Although according to all reports, I live in the county most directly and severely affected by that (Genesee county MI)...lost power for eight days, had to rig up heat to prevent my pipes from exploding, went to stay with a friend because the cold was so severe, could not drive down my street for days and couldn't work, and just so thankful the frozen trees didn't fall on my little house...I am thankful that it wasn't worse. Our power came back on late on Christmas Eve, when me and my dogs had been huddled at my friend's house for days. Our Christmas dinner was at McDonalds, bless their hearts, they stayed open 24/7 and have WiFi and power for people to charge their devices.

It was indeed poopy. :D I am totally ready for a mild winter this year.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Here in Kansas, people are saying wet and not quite as cold. This means chances for ice and sloppy snow. So far, it seems as though it may be about right. I hate the stuff and wish my husband was more amendable to moving somewhere warmer... but he won't have it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Java Guy, when we lived in upstate NY, the words "lake effect snow" sent me into a tizzy! That is one of the main reasons we are now in Texas :giggle:.
Our winter is predicted to be wetter than normal but all the weathermen are keeping their mouths shut on predicting high/low temperatures. If the predictions are as accurate as they usually are, we are in for a dry winter with no temperatures at all!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'd never heard the term "lake effect" before moving to Michigan...well I am on the "sunrise" (east) side of the state now so it doesn't affect us much - we just get screaming cold - but at least I know what it means now.

And, what the HECK is going on with this weather! November in Michigan and it was almost 80 degrees F today. That is just so not right. I want some snow, dammit. And lots of it. Stat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
You see this :cry: Beth_B? That is what the thought of snow does to me. It is what you just did to me!!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
Java Guy, when we lived in upstate NY, the words "lake effect snow" sent me into a tizzy! That is one of the main reasons we are now in Texas :giggle:.
Our winter is predicted to be wetter than normal but all the weathermen are keeping their mouths shut on predicting high/low temperatures. If the predictions are as accurate as they usually are, we are in for a dry winter with no temperatures at all![/QUOTEI]

I live in SE Michigan down near Toledo. We don't get lake effect snow down there thank goodness!! I work in Cleveland once a week though and lake effect snow is the norm for them. I remember last year being at a four-way intersection. On my side of the street light the road was clear. On the opposite side of the intersection was a white wall of snow. Crazy...and miserable :sick:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You see this :cry: Beth_B? That is what the thought of snow does to me. It is what you just did to me!!!

Sorry @Java Guy! I'm a total cold-weather,winter, love snow person and I am feeling cheated out of winter so far. Mind you I do appreciate the low utility bills. :)

Ask a Question