Romaine Lettuce, growing from store bought scraps.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have just started doing this because where I live Romaine lettuce is a bit pricey. Basically when you buy a head/stalk of romaine lettuce, you cut the very bottom off about 3 inches and then plant that in soil and it grows rapidly. For each head you buy in the Supermarket, you can usually get 4 or more rounds of clippings for the weeks that follow. I bought 1 head per week for 5 weeks, and then planted the base. So now I have 5 different plants growing each a week apart, which gives a continuous yield

Reaction score
Country
United States
That is awesome petesede! I am going to have to try that out. I have been doing that with the green onions I buy in the market. I pay around a dollar for the organic bunch and then leave about an inch and a half left and they grow in about 3 days. I have done about 4 rounds and they are still going strong. I just grow it in water. I don't put them in soil. I change out the water when it gets murky.

Ask a Question