Buying Plants At The Store

Reaction score
Country
United States
I have seen lovely flowers at Walmart. I considered getting some and putting them in pots. However, is it just me or do they always look wilted and sad? If I replant them in healthier dirt, make sure they get light, and water, do you think they will perk up. I'm sure they'd work better if I would just plant them and wait, but occasionally I am tempted.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sure they'd be fine. Being at a store like Walmart, they hardly get cared for so they usually look bad, but once they're watered and in the ground (or a pot of an appropriate size) they typically do just fine.

I stopped buying from stores like Walmart and department stores when I learned that their plants are often laced with insecticides/pesticides that can kill bees and butterflies. Now I stick to nurseries where I know nothing like that is used.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
WALMART.jpg
saw this at Walmart last summer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I stopped buying from stores like Walmart and department stores when I learned that their plants are often laced with insecticides/pesticides that can kill bees and butterflies. Now I stick to nurseries where I know nothing like that is used.
good to know. have a nice Amish farm not far that sells wonderful annuals.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Like JB, I don't buy from big box stores unless I just can't find what I need anywhere else. If you can find a local family owned nursery, give them your business. If something goes wrong, or if you have a question, they can help.
At a local large big box, I was told that humus was made from human bones. Their "garden associates" rarely know marigolds from impatiens.
I feel sorry for the plants at WalMart and the other box stores, but not sorry enough to risk having them in my garden. If I do have to buy starts from one of those stores, I isolate the plants and "flush" them with rain water until they go into the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA 10a - Sunset 22
Country
United States
I sometimes look at the "scratch and dent" plants at one of the local big box stores. Generally not too much I'd want, but once I did buy a Gardenia and another time a Miniature Rose nursed them both back to health. They were pretty poor to start with, but with some care they did really good.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Walmart and Meijer usually don't take care of their flowers/plants much. I saw them wilted and sad all the time. I sometimes buy one or two and then try to nurture them back, but I often buy the perennial ones only.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
They will be fine, don't worry Verity Darkwaters:) I often buy plants in the local supermarket and most of them are doing great.
The best thing about plants like that is that they're very inexpensive:D

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
I also get some of my plants from the "scratch and dent" section of the stores if I see some that have been reduced in price also. I get most of my plants from the local garden nursery close to my home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've bought plants from the supermarket and things like that before, or from gardening stores where the plants seem to be on their last legs. I guess I view it as a challenge, almost? I've had some great success reviving things, and I guess it just makes me happy to try and make them look healthy again!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
Last Sunday we were going on a long trip when we stopped to have breakfast at McDonald's beside a plant nursery. My sister said she wanted to replace the felled mango caused by the typhoon the other year. I invited her to see the plants in the nursery. At once, she was smitten by the small mango tree, about 4 feet tall, that has flowers. She had wanted to buy but I advised against it because we still have a long way to go. Maybe this weekend we will be going back to that nursery.

Ask a Question