What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
Well done, they are very beautiful and useful birds, they sing very well. I live near the forest, maybe that's why there are so many. They also love walnuts. An improvised bird feeder will be better in the future.
IMG_20211207_213007.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree, they are the most delightful birds. Two species of the family Paridae come regularly to my garden The Chestnut-backed Chickadee (Poecile rufescens) and the Oak Titmouse (Baeolophus inornatus).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Spent a couple of hours getting rid of wet leaves on the two patios. I also cleaned the pot movers (all fifteen of 'em) and replaced the rose pots on them. Too wet to tackle the last of the leaves on the two lawns, but the weather is supposed to be better next week so I can get them cleared then.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, so many leaves this time of year. I spent some time moving all the pots along the side of my greenhouse and clearing between them, then doing the path, like you say a bit wet for doing the lawn. I would like a good strong wind to dry them out and blow them all into one place and make them easy to pick up. On the one hand they are a pain that will leave holes in the grass if I leave them, on the other hand I really look forward to having all that leaf mould. A friend once told me about an experiment they did in college, filling containers with various things like topsoil, clay, leaf mould etc. then pouring water through them and seeing how long they took to drain and how much of the water was retained. Leaf mould drained most rapidly and also retained the most water, lovely stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Still leaf removing. Big piles dragged to the woods enough to fill a 12 x12 foot room. started another area. burning some along with limbs. Suppose to rain this weekend. Tackling it 4 hours again today.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I attempted to key out mushrooms growing on my garden wood chips. To best of my ability...

• Sulfur Tuft (Hypholoma fasciculare). Spores: purplish-brown
• Stropharia riparia (which may be a synonym of Laeratiomyces percevalii). Spores: purplish-black
Gymnopus brassicolens. Not on wood chips, in Pine duft, Spores: white

Also my Arisarum simorrhinum is blooming, with a flower that looks like a fungus.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I keyed out two more wood chip mushrooms in my garden today

Tubaria furfuracea. Spores: dull orange-brown
Pholiota spumosa. Identification tentative. Spores: dull red-brown

It's a good year for mushrooms. Perhaps due to it being a wet year, after a dry year, so there is a much for the fungi to eat.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I keyed out two more wood chip mushrooms in my garden today

Tubaria furfuracea. Spores: dull orange-brown
Pholiota spumosa. Identification tentative. Spores: dull red-brown

It's a good year for mushrooms. Perhaps due to it being a wet year, after a dry year, so there is a much for the fungi to eat.
Can't remember the name, but there is a chocolate brown mushroom with a wavy edge that grows on wood chips and is a psychadelic. There was a reporter in the Guardian who had seen it growing on chips in a racetrack car park (Kempton?), said there were "Enough of them to turn on half London."

Reaction score
Country
United States
Can't remember the name, but there is a chocolate brown mushroom with a wavy edge that grows on wood chips and is a psychadelic. There was a reporter in the Guardian who had seen it growing on chips in a racetrack car park (Kempton?), said there were "Enough of them to turn on half London."
Yes some mushrooms do contain psilocybin and other hallucinogenic compounds. The genus Psilocybe has several such species.
None of the species I identified in my garden are used for such purposes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes some mushrooms do contain psilocybin and other hallucinogenic compounds. The genus Psilocybe has several such species.
None of the species I identified in my garden are used for such purposes.

San Pedro cactus is what you should try. Lots of people sell it on Ebay. When I lived in Phoenix AZ I had a cactus garden with San Pedro. There are many cactus that grow fast as weeds if you fertilize them & water them. I had several cactus that grew 8 feet tall in 1 year. High elevation cactus that grows in the mountains can take, cold, ice, snow, blizzard, and desert too I had lots of AZ cactus growing in TN for a while but finally cut it all down. I am tired of thorns. Cactus can survive the works weather but give it the what it likes best, 70° all day, water & fertilizer, it grows fast. It grows best with only 6 hours of cool morning sun then shade the rest of the day.

Last edited:

Ask a Question