What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
@cntrlwagdnr , have cousins that live near Federal Way. and the last Aunt who is 85 years old. They are quickly working on leaving, house up for sale etc . due to the congestion and traffic nuttiness., ill planned development, and crazy Seattle. Their moving destination is Cleveland, Tenn. closer for me to visit.

Have you been to------a favorite of mine, was able to visit it and ordered some awesome hydrangeas. https://heronswoodgarden.org/
Federal Way is a long way from here! But I get it. Lived in Bellevue, near Seattle for a few years when I first came to the US, then Portland, OR until 8 years ago - talk about nuttiness now, not just traffic!!! Trouble is a lot of them are coming over here and trying to screw up paradise with their BS they claim they are trying to get away from. If you're trying to get away from it, freakin' leave it there! When in Rome, do as the Romans or the empire strikes back. (Don't say it! My wife grew up here - it counts as home.)

Never been to those gardens but they look cool on line.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am nervous to leave a candle or any fire lit in my greenhouse all night unsupervised. I really want to get electricity in there which is possible. I wish I knew people that got rid of useful junk lol. I need to build a cold frame to try extreme weather gardening. My plan is to feed my family all year from the garden, but weather is obviously something to combat to keep things going.
Most greenhouses nowadays are glass and aluminium, not exactly flammable. Even in a flammable plastic greenhouse a candle put down on the earth under a large terracotta flowerpot is pretty safe, the pot will get a little warmer than hand hot, not so hot you couldn't touch it comfortably, and inside a closed greenhouse nothing is going to upset it. My main problem was finding cheap candles that would burn for long enough, I would save the stubs and dip ordinary household candles, normally they will only burn for six or seven hours.

Reaction score
Country
United States
In my county, there are "facebook" communities that reach out to local folks asking for stuff "do you have any", or giving it away, "free to anyone, porch pick up". there is also a couple that are just online. Perhaps there are some in your area. I love them, giving away stuff others can use I don't need anymore etc.
I do not have a Facebook page. This is the only social portal I belong to currently. I will look online for it to see if anyone posts things on the web around my area. Thank you!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Most greenhouses nowadays are glass and aluminium, not exactly flammable. Even in a flammable plastic greenhouse a candle put down on the earth under a large terracotta flowerpot is pretty safe, the pot will get a little warmer than hand hot, not so hot you couldn't touch it comfortably, and inside a closed greenhouse nothing is going to upset it. My main problem was finding cheap candles that would burn for long enough, I would save the stubs and dip ordinary household candles, normally they will only burn for six or seven hours.
My greenhouse is made of mostly wood. Hence my fear:eek:

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My greenhouse is made of mostly wood. Hence my fear:eek:
I think that is the shed, greenhouses are made mostly of transparent stuff :)
Sorry, couldn't resist that, more seriously, the problem then is not them catching fire, still most unlikely, but getting a chimney out, aluminium frames generally have quite a hole up near the peak, where there is plastic instead of glass you can make a hole through, heat will have dissipated enough not to be a worry. Without a chimney I find an awful lot of water vapour is produced by the burning and the inside ends up dripping with condensation, unless it is like the old cedar and glass one that was here when I came, that has so many cracked panes and holes where the glass has slid it is amazing it is so much warmer than outside, but it is ventilated. :)

I would suggest you get a good big terracotta pot and turn it upside down with a night light under it somewhere out in the open where you feel safe with it. You will see how hot the pot gets, not enough to set light to anything, and how the light is covered, should reassure you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Gathering fallen branches, piling some leaves. No wind today.
20211107_143952.jpg
20211107_144111.jpg
20211107_144111.jpg

Attachments

• 20211107_143929.jpg
    20211107_143929.jpg
    202.7 KB · Views: 21
  • 20211107_143913.jpg
    20211107_143913.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Looks like it will be simmering all night. my burn pile. went out and reorganized it. small billows of white now. still no wind. all is well. Glass of wine to watch the smoke dancing.
yep it simmered all night. just went out and raked the pile about to get stuff burning that it missed.
Pics sent from my cell phone, neat. just so you know that big limb burning is not one we cut its what fell during a storm, such is life in a wooded lot.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Glad to hear you air dry, so much greener. The only time our tumble dryer gets used is emergencies or to fix waterproofing :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
I think that is the shed, greenhouses are made mostly of transparent stuff :)
Sorry, couldn't resist that, more seriously, the problem then is not them catching fire, still most unlikely, but getting a chimney out, aluminium frames generally have quite a hole up near the peak, where there is plastic instead of glass you can make a hole through, heat will have dissipated enough not to be a worry. Without a chimney I find an awful lot of water vapour is produced by the burning and the inside ends up dripping with condensation, unless it is like the old cedar and glass one that was here when I came, that has so many cracked panes and holes where the glass has slid it is amazing it is so much warmer than outside, but it is ventilated. :)

I would suggest you get a good big terracotta pot and turn it upside down with a night light under it somewhere out in the open where you feel safe with it. You will see how hot the pot gets, not enough to set light to anything, and how the light is covered, should reassure you.
Ha! You know I thought the same thing. The only transparent part is the angled side of he roof. It was sold to me as a greenhouse product that was handmade from a wood shop in my area.

I will try hat out and see how it goes btw. Thank you!

Ask a Question