What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Every care should be taken if you're moving a hedgehog at this time of the year.

43084E17-0F04-431B-8A69-D969E3C77F7B.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Today, I found and identified a mushroom seen for the first time in my garden.

The Egg-yolk Mushroom (Bolbitius titubans, formerly B. vitellinus). It was growing in wood chips on a path in the back garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Too wet again for anything. However the high winds should have cleared most of the last of the leaves from next doors's tall silver birch trees. So if it's dry I can clear them tomorrow. That will just leave those on the two remaining wisterias, which I will prune off as soon as they start to turn.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Stripped the dying wisteria foliage from both pergolas.

It's always a pain as although the leaves are no problem, the little leaf spines won't get picked up by my garden vac. So I have to blow them into a corner and use a dustpan and brush.

I also did a partial prune, I'll take everything back to between two and four buds between Christmas and New Year, as usual.
P1050616_50.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Bulgaria
IMG_20211203_145103.jpg
IMG_20211203_145203.jpg
IMG_20211203_145003.jpg
IMG_20211203_144949.jpg
IMG_20211203_144920.jpg
IMG_20211203_144900.jpg
IMG_20211203_144855.jpg
IMG_20211203_144850.jpg
IMG_20211203_144754.jpg
IMG_20211203_144815.jpg
I had collected a lot of walnuts from the nearby forest in October, unfortunately these walnuts turned out to be quite hard. It is difficult to separate whole nuts, and I decided to feed the birds from the nearby forest. Well, I was lucky, today I managed to photograph a few Parus major.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Just one job tackled today, pruning the acer in the front garden.

At this time each year, I take about a foot off it all the way round.

I've a Barnel telescopic pruner for the smaller branches and a long Fiskars lopper for the thicker ones. so no ladder required.

It's deceptive, in that it's quite tall for a small garden, it reaches up after pruning to the level of the top of the upper bay window and it's about twelve feet in diameter.
The growth of course, is uneven, so I have to keep stepping back to make sure I'm keeping it reasonably symetrical.
There's still one or two small branches that need seeing to, as any not pruned will "bolt."

But it's a pain of a job, as you're constantly looking up and the weight of the pruners at arm's length is tiring. Still, what's left will only take a few minutes.

P1050623.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
In case we get any high winds today, I drove a couple more stakes through the big tub with the mimosa in the central bed to make sure it doesn't blow over.
I also took all the rose ceramic pots off their pot movers and pushed them up against something solid. If any got blown over the pots would break and they're nearly thirty quid a time.
Same with the tree azaleas at the bottom of the garden. I took them off their pavers and pushed them hard up against the tea-house.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
View attachment 86443I had collected a lot of walnuts from the nearby forest in October, unfortunately these walnuts turned out to be quite hard. It is difficult to separate whole nuts, and I decided to feed the birds from the nearby forest. Well, I was lucky, today I managed to photograph a few Parus major.
That is a lot of Great tits all together, they are common visitors to my bird table and feeders, but I rarely see more than two. Long tail tits are the ones I see in flocks, and I am told that they inform each other, and other sorts of tits, where there is a food source, it fascinated me that they would let other species know. I also see blue tits, which use the nesting box, and the occasional willow tit or marsh tit (It is quite difficult to tell those last two apart). Last year there was a storm mid season and the nesting box was knocked off the fence by the wind, falling on some bricks underneath. I replaced it and tied it on securely with a length of string and the adult bird was back within minutes looking in the box. They went on to successfully raise their family, I was amazed. My brother in law made me a second box for my birthday, so I shall see what develops next year. I am thinking of making an open box for the robin (Erithacus rubecula, not to be confused with all the other red breasted species that Englishmen have called 'Robin' as they traveled the world.), he really is a favourite, diving right under my feet to pick up insects when I am working and disturbing the ground or dead leaves.

Ask a Question