What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
This is sort of gardening, I watched this video and it's about old roses that have gone out of fashion and maybe extinct.
Hi Logan. Many thanks for posting that video. As you know, I am a rosarian, so anything roses gets my attention. It is sad that many 'old roses' are no longer available. Rose breeding used to take around twelve years from start to marketing a new variety. This period has been reduced. However a new rose can enter the market and can end up being a total failure moneywise. In today's market, money counts. So although a rose may be fab, if it doesn't bring in the money, it goes.

Then gardeners also come and go, and often their roses also go. There is in the UK a rose breeder/nursery. Peter Beales. Sadly the family have passed away except for the son. Peter started a collection of classic roses some years ago. Also as mentioned in the video, many garden clubs have gone. If only we could regenerate the following once again and attempt to find some of these old rose. After all. The rose ws much loved back in the Egyptian era.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Logan , finally watched the video. thanks. lots of shade here. I do have an old fashioned climber the Zepharin . and a small shrub rose. but again lots of shade. will look further to see if I can find anything that might work.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Look at my pea seedlings! These are just a few for fun to get started. Once I put all of my seedlings outside I'll plant way more peas! I just like to watch them grow! They grow super fast!

Attachments

• IMG_20210316_212747978_640x480.jpg
    IMG_20210316_212747978_640x480.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 46
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Your game appears to be looking up.

I've really no idea, it's not as if you can go and practice anywhere at the moment.

I'm reduced to just chipping balls ten to fifteen yards on our small lawn and putting them on the carpet of the front room.

How I'll get on with my driver on the first tee on 29th of March, remains to be seen.

The "no golf" from the beginning of this year came at a bad time as I'd just changed my clubs and putter and they've had hardly had any use.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Not in the actual garden but ordered 100 vinca minor cuttings to fill in 2 areas. Weather hasn't been great and both areas need work before planting. Had put them in water- guess not good because they started dying and the water smelled even though I changed it every day. Got them planted in paper cups today until I can get them where they need to be. Have 100+ swamp milkweed seeds in fridge that need to be potted up after this week. No greenhouses, every one I have bought has only lasted 2 years on our deck. The covers are cheap and tear.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I've really no idea, it's not as if you can go and practice anywhere at the moment.

I'm reduced to just chipping balls ten to fifteen yards on our small lawn and putting them on the carpet of the front room.

How I'll get on with my driver on the first tee on 29th of March, remains to be seen.

The "no golf" from the beginning of this year came at a bad time as I'd just changed my clubs and putter and they've had hardly had any use.
No golf is a silly effort. I am sure you feel guilty about not practicing as much as you know you could. I was also referring to the upvote arrow that seemed to have developed naturally in your picture. One hopes for Karma from whatever source, right?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Didn't do anything today other than a walk around. Noticed a couple of frogs in the little pond which scurried under the rocks in the corner which are there to let baby frogs out when they are ready to leave, when I drew near. I put a couple more rocks in to give them more protection. I'm glad that I cleaned this out and put in fresh water a week ago. The frogs weren't in it then.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
@Logan , finally watched the video. thanks. lots of shade here. I do have an old fashioned climber the Zepharin . and a small shrub rose. but again lots of shade. will look further to see if I can find anything that might work.
That's great can grow roses in shade
Here's a video

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
@Logan , I do have two, a climber and a shrub, both are hanging in there. when I select them I look for the description to say, can handle some shade and that it is vigorous. That way they have a fighting chance. will have to try to get a few more, I do have some spots for things here and there. never done.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I decided that as we've been promised to get four of five dry days, I'd make a start on the patio.
It was in dire need of a jet wash. It was black in the corners.

P1040869.JPG

Anything major attempted in our garden creates problems as there's too much stuff in it. So all the pots and the two planters had to be moved.
P1040872.JPG

P1040874.JPG

Down to business.
I needed my Nilfisk wet n' dry, as the amount of water used by the Karcher won't drain away through the drain holes in the bottom of the low curtilage walls.

P1040870.JPG

Constantly emptying the wet n' dry is a pain as the nearest drain is through the side door in the fence and in the corner near the back door.

But as always, I found a way years ago, (the patio is 35 years old)

This bin is connected to a pipe that enters into the drain, but the fall on the patio is both left and right, so the area near the party fence wouldn't drain. I just empty the water into the bin.

P1040871.JPG

Job done.

P1040873.JPG

I'll leave it to dry out tomorrow and start on the necessary pointing on Monday.

At least I'm not having to work to a deadline.

I've noticed the two wooden planters need some attention, but that can be done later in the week.

Ask a Question