What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Tied up the top of the canes for my runner beans, bit early, but I find I can't do it all at once. Standing on a chair and working above my head tiers my arms out after I have done a couple nowadays. Cleaned out the pots with lilies in and topped up with good compost with a bit of bonemeal. Found two lily beetles, they do take a bit of killing, but they wreak havoc later on. This is a new problem here, someone imported some a few years back and they have taken off.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Tied up the top of the canes for my runner beans, bit early, but I find I can't do it all at once. Standing on a chair and working above my head tiers my arms out after I have done a couple nowadays. Cleaned out the pots with lilies in and topped up with good compost with a bit of bonemeal. Found two lily beetles, they do take a bit of killing, but they wreak havoc later on. This is a new problem here, someone imported some a few years back and they have taken off.

Lily beatles are a pain. We get them every year, you have to really squeeze them hard to kill them. If you disturb them, they'll drop to the ground and lie on their backs so they become difficult to see.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Mike and Logan, here in Texas we have a group called the "Rose Rustlers." If a rose is growing at an abandoned home site, out along a fence row, anywhere neglected and unclaimed, they take cuttings, propagate the rose, and work hard to find its provenance. There are many old roses, out of fashion but so hardy, that are available at special nurseries (Antique Rose Emporium being one). We have several in our flower beds, including this Caldwell Pink, which was rescued in Caldwell, TX. Sorry about no close up, but you can still see how lovely she is.
caldwell pink crop.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Mike and Logan, here in Texas we have a group called the "Rose Rustlers." If a rose is growing at an abandoned home site, out along a fence row, anywhere neglected and unclaimed, they take cuttings, propagate the rose, and work hard to find its provenance. There are many old roses, out of fashion but so hardy, that are available at special nurseries (Antique Rose Emporium being one). We have several in our flower beds, including this Caldwell Pink, which was rescued in Caldwell, TX. Sorry about no close up, but you can still see how lovely she is.
View attachment 77154
That's great news and such a lovely rose.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lily beatles are a pain. We get them every year, you have to really squeeze them hard to kill them. If you disturb them, they'll drop to the ground and lie on their backs so they become difficult to see.
Very gently slide your left hand around the lily stem below the beetle so you have a cupped hand under it. Then try and catch it, if it evades you and drops it lands in your other hand and you can get it easily (usually).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I had a good look at the two wooden troughs that we use to contain in each, three hebes in pots. I had to take out the pots and move them to do the jet-washing.

One's not too bad but the other is rotting away a bit at the base. It's not repairable. We bought them from Wyevale over ten years ago. I originally had them either side of the tea-house steps, but for the last couple of years they've been on either side of the patio steps, where they're more visible.

P1040039.JPG

So I made a decision and ordered two new ones on eBay. (Free delivery). They're about ten inches longer than the old ones, but will still fit.
I like the slatted bottoms, that allows water through. The old ones originally had a plywood bottom which started to rot a few years ago so I took it out and replaced it with two rails to support the pots.

I'll paint them the same colour as the rest of the wood in the garden.

s-l1600.jpg

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Planted 3 hellebores in the border that I'm re doing, also straightened the grass a bit. Had to stop because i was getting dizzy stooping and standing up all the time, I get that sometimes and i have bad sinuses and use a nasel spray.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've decided I'll need to get those troughs up off the patio or the bases could rot. Easiest solution will be round black door stops, one at each corner and two in the middle. They are cheap enough so I've ordered a dozen.

I spent five hours re-pointing the patio and the path between the garage and the pergola. I use a barely damp sand and cement mix with added SBS. Hardest job was getting the right amount of cement dye in each batch I was mixing up in a bucket.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I've checked the weather forecast and the rain should hold off until Friday. So I'll try to get the rest of the path down to the tea-house re-pointed where necessary, tomorrow after shopping.
The next job will be the "rose patio," that needs just a light jet-washing to get the moss out from between the loose laid flags. Then it'll be just a case of brushing paving sand back into the gaps. But that won't happen for a week or so.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
It took three days in the end to complete the re-pointing. Mind you. I'll only work five hours in the day, maximum. Didn't start too well as I'd run out of sand, plasticiser and yellow cement dye. Had to go to a builders merchants in Stockport for the latter as the local Travis Perkins didn't stock it. Just some clearing up to do tomorrow. I've two large buckets of bits of old mortar to take down the tip plus one of the old troughs. I might keep the other one after the new ones arrive, but don't know yet where it will go. I'll probably prune the roses tomorrow and sort out the Mayleen clematis over the front door, a few ends of the hanging branches have died off, I had to wait until now for the new growth to appear, to see where I need to prune them back.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Got more done today in about four hours. Had lunch and now watching the cricket on TV.

Went to the tip with the buckets full of old rubble from the patio. Decided to dump both old troughs. The second one didn't put up much resistance.

Tidied the garage and shed.

Gave the patios and paths a sweep, then hosed them down.

We like the "rustic look." When I laid alll this, it would have been much cheaper (and easier) to have flags. The stones are quite thick, between four and six inches, so on their concrete raft they are very solid. The new mortar will darken down over the next few weeks.

P1040876.JPG

P1040877.JPG

P1040878.JPG

I re-potted the six hebes that will go into their new trough home when they arrive. Four were root bound, I trimmed up the roots then gave all six a part fill with fresh compost and a feed.

Pruned the dead wood from the Mayleen over the front door.

All our large ceramic pots are on plastic pot movers, that's about a couple of dozen of them. it's easier to move them about and rotate them 180 degrees very couple of weeks, so the other side gets more sun.

In each mover I drilled a hole in the centre. This allows any excess water to drain out of the bottom in the cold months. But for the summer I put a dab of silicone over the hole. Our patio gets very warm, so when I water these plants on really hot days, I also put some in the mover to make sure they don't go short.

These are getting really expensive now.

When we had the koi pool filled in and paved over in 2019, I'd bought six David Austin bare root roses and six new glazed ceramic pots, so no change out of more than £200. The pot movers in Wyvale had gone up to about eight quid. So I bought six from China on eBay. They are quite substantial and have four big castors, the other ones we are using only have three. They worked out at less than £4 each. Trouble was, they were white. So I bought an aerosol of green paint and sprayed them. I was a bit mean only buying one can, so after a couple of years they'd become a bit chipped. So I bought some more paint today and re-sprayed them. I used two and a half aerosols this time, so the paint should be a bit more durable.

P1040879.JPG

I'll run the Flymo over the lawn later as it looks like rain tomorrow.
I'll put all the pots back on the patio tomorrow, then in the next dry spell, I'll tidy up the "rose patio," clear any moss from between the flags and brush in some fresh sand.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I got the last of the mucky jobs done today.
I jet-washed the "rose patio," got the moss out that starts to grow between the flags.
This patio drains quickly as the flags are loose laid on top of twenty tonnes of fine eco friendly hardcore.
It dried within an hour as it's reasonably warm today. I then swept some new paving sand into the gaps betweeen the flags.

I cleaned the ten pot movers, put a dab of silicone over the drain holes in the bottom and cleaned all the glaze on the outside of the pots.

P1040884.JPG

I jet-washed the four refuse bins and the stand they occupy against the fence. As the fence between the drive and the garden, is set back, you can't see them from the road. I hate to see bins, they spoil the look of so many houses. Well... you can the green bin as that was an extra one we had to have after I built the fence. That lives in front of the garage door. The fence with its door makes the back of our house reasonably secure.

P1040886.JPG

I also jet-washed the 6ft pagaoda in the corner of the garden as it had some moss on the edges of the roofs. I built it thirty-three years ago and some of the fine detail on the edges of the roofs is erroding a bit in places, as it's painted fine mortar. But it adds to its character.
A bit of paint here and there will bring it back.

P1020905.JPG

The only other big jobs yet to be tackled is our green concrete drive. I won't jet-wash that as it isn't looking bad and it responds well to a dose of "Wet and Forget."

I've yet to replace the decorative panels in what was the balustrade of the pool pergola. Also some of the woodwork in the garden will get another coat of paint. But I can do all that a bit at a time as the weather improves.
The next job will be to paint the new troughs when they arrive in a week or so, to match all the other woodwork in the garden.

I've not mentioned plants, as perennials they mostly look after themselves. Although I'm going to make a better "cage" for our Stella cherry tree, out of some old net curtains, to keep the birds away.

But from next week the garden will take second place behind my three golf games a week. I remembered to put my electric golf trolley's battery back on charge, ready for Monday.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I did a bit more re- pointing of a few small places on the patio and path where I'd missed them. Then tidied the shed.
Gave the mossy bits of the lawn another dose of iron sulphate.

I then had a stroll round the garden checking that "stuff is doing what it's s'pposed to do," as is the case if you only have perennnials

Our little Stella cherry is doing well, but I gave it a pest spray. I'd noticed there were a lot of midges about on the golf course yesterday.
The tree has responded well to the bit of wiring I did last year where a few branches were a bit close together. The wires are off now and it's retained its shape.

P1040887.JPG

The phlox on the rockery (yes there's some big rocks under there somewhere) is doing well, there will be masses of flowers again this year. I wired the big eunonymus two years ago, to drag the two parts together which were separated by a huge conifer we had removed. Another year or two and it will have closed the gap.

P1040888.JPG

Our three quinces on the side fence are doing well. I don't let them grow too tall as they would cut out the light on the border and the grass on that side of the lawn. They cover the whole of the side fence right down to the end.

White

P1040889.JPG

Red

P1040891.JPG

Pink

P1040892.JPG

This sambucus is doing well as is the wisteria on the fence behihind it.

P1040894.JPG

There'll be masses of blooms on all the wisterias as usual.

P1040893.JPG

I've wired some of the branches on this white wisteria, as I want them to "cascade" over the pergola and some are putting up a fight and don't want to be dragged downwards, but they'll comply over the next month or so, then I can remove the wires.

P1040895.JPG

Ask a Question