What did you do in your garden today?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
Yep, clearing twigs always a pain, me and my wheel barrel out and about . We can burn over here. I'd have to buy stock in lawn bags if I had to deal with that. LOL.
to add to above, its not just winter or fall clean up to get twigs and branches. but every time I get ready to cut the grass, have to go around with my wheel barrel pick up branches, some times I have 2 loads sometime 3 loads. gets tired, some days I ignore the twigs. and they say a wooded lot is nice, yeah right. Oh, yes, and the nuts that fall, let us not forget the nuts. depending on the area, if walking down a slightly sloped area you can just roll on those nuts and down you can go. and the nuts don't burn. My only complaint is why am I not skinny. Or maybe I would be fatter. LOL.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I guess I'm lucky that our garden isn't very big, but even still look how many twigs I picked up! At least they're all dry so easy enough to break up.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After a walk on my local beach I went to pick up more compost. First time was when it was dry; the next visit 'twas raining. :rolleyes: Anyway, a long way to go yet but a few more visits and I am being generous with the mulching.
Sun appearing now though and it is very mild
Nice to see old friends again.....hope Gail is well and still on the forum. She adds a lot of good humour to the forum :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Busy day yesterday...Well... Busy three hours around mid-day.

Had to sort out this end bed, lots of dead bamboo leaves to clear, hard to get them out between the canes.

It's pretty much a hands and knees job with a stick to get some out. I had to be careful as the bulbs are beginning to come through, but it's looking better.

Same with the long side border, I blow the fallen leaves to the back of the border in the Autumn to let them rot down. But they needed removing now as the new growth is starting to appear and so were a few weeds. Not only was it a hands and knees job dragging the leaves through any new growth but I had to duck down under the rhodos and azaleas. But it's done now.

The first of our three quinces is flowering

Mowed the lawn. Got half a box-full of grass off it.
Despite all the fallen bamboo leaves it's still its normal bushy and green self.
I managed to squeeze in all the bulbs we got from T&M. May move some at the end of the summer if they aren't an appealing sight.

The fish are being "all friendly," on the bottom of the pool, five feet down.
They sit here under the filter return. The pool is unheated, but some heat is generated by the filter pump, UV and air pump. Enough for them to notice. They don't feed in the Winter, sit where they are for most of the time, but occasionally have a bit of a mooch around.
Air rising from the airstones on the bottom of the pool under the filter return distorts the photo.

Jobs still to do.
Treat the bits of moss on the lawn. You can do it at this time of the year. Our head greenkeeper at my golf club always does the greens and tees about now if any need the attention.

Tidy the rockery and drain and re-fill the little "frog pond," before they "get at it."

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
I tackled the frog pond today. It only took about an hour. It chucked it down in the morning, too wet for golf, but dried up in the afternoon. So as it wasn't cold I got on with it.

We've always had frogs in our garden, even from before we had either the small pool, or the koi pool,

Back then, I once found a pair of frogs in a stained plastic ice cream container, half full of rainwater I'd put down the side of the garage after doing an oil change on the car I had at the time,

Anyway, the koi pool is unsuitable for frogs to breed. So I gave them this. We used to have a nice water lily in it but over the years the shade from the acer palmum as it grew, meant we got fewer and fewer blooms, so I gave it to a neighbour with a goldfish pond, two years ago and it does very well.

So this is what I'm faced with at the beginning of the year. I try to empty and clean it out before the frogs get in it. They are "around" as we see one occasionally. They over-winter in the folds of the koi pool liner. They sometimes get into the koi pool pump sump and I have to get them out during the purging process.

I've a problem with the roots of this thirty-odd year-old acer palmatum lifting a couple of the coping stones, but I say "it adds character,"
'cos I can't be bothered to re-cement them. The pond is half covered by the leaves of the acer in the summer, so it almost disappears, but the frogs don't mind.

This is my "frog strainer," a riddle on top of an empty wheely bin, I use a bucket to empty much of the water, I then drag the three-quarter full bin down to the kerb and drop the water down the drain in the gutter, it takes half a dozen trips. I get the dregs out with my wet n'dry vac. Didn't find any frogs, too early for them yet.
Sometimes in the Spring the whole surface of the pool gets covered in spawn, of all different consistency, colours and size of eggs.

You can see the lid of the koi pool pump sump. I made it from a 40 gallon big green plastic water butt, set in concrete. It connects to the pool's bottom drain via 4" pipe.

After a bit of a scrub out, I re-fill it.

There's some rocks at one end that are to help the tiny frogs get out, also in case a hedgehog falls in. They can swim but wouldn't be able to get out if the rocks weren't there.

I use a length of conduit positioned under the coping as an overflow, which exits into the channel between the boder and the lawn.
It's best to have an overflow with any pool. The one for the koi pool is a 1.5" pipe that runs under the pool's concrete, collar, then the patio, to a house drain under the kitchen window.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
This morning, I put up this bird feeder my wife bought on a shopping channel

I said given it's size, it looked as if it were made for Condors.

It was a disaster. The apertures that release the food into the tray are far too big.
The tray has tiny slits to drain away rainwater, but more water ends up in the base of the feeder as the bottom of the apertures are level with the edge of the tray.
To fill it, there's a cable, you release a pin and the body of the feeder slides down to the ferule on the end of the cable. I tied it up to stop anyone walking into it. The cable will be ideal for those who buy one, as you'd be filling it daily at the rate the food falls out.

Then there's the next problem, you need a funnel to fill it (I only put a couple of inches of food in it) as the access is very limited.

The starlings were swinging on it within minutes, which increased the rate at which the food was being dispensed.

So after a couple of hours we ended up with this on the patio.

It's going back! You'd be hard pushed to design a worse one!

I've been out there since, to clear up all the food with my wet n' dry vac. If I didn't, it would only attract the wood pigeons, which I've always tried hard to deter, they make so much mess.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Laid some mulch, mowed back lawn and watered gh plants. :)
A walk to and along the beach was invigorating earlier.......Nico, a white golden retriever, almost a year old, just had to roll in the mud on the way back, didn't he? :(
Tomorrow I should have more time so a lot more compost will be used as mulch ....supposed to be a dry day!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Laid some mulch, mowed back lawn and watered gh plants. :)
A walk to and along the beach was invigorating earlier.......Nico, a white golden retriever, almost a year old, just had to roll in the mud on the way back, didn't he? :(
Tomorrow I should have more time so a lot more compost will be used as mulch ....supposed to be a dry day!
I thought Nico rolled in the mud every day verdun... :giggle:
Today I actually managed to start the big clean up on the beds - a large bonus for the compost heap.
I suppose it`s time now to cut the miscanthus back... ? @Verdun

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Moved the Asparagus from total shade and put it with the rhubarb. Gave it a good dressing of horse poo.

Finished filling the bed at the side with rubble and gravel, Tetters is going to plant some sort of flowers in the pots :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
The old bird feeder is on its way back for a refund and I've ordered a new one.

This is much better designed. The rainwater will drain away more easily, as the drain holes are bigger, there's a lip in front of the apertures to stop rainwater water making the food damp and it's easier to fill. The birds will also be able to see the food.

£7.50 on eBay, post free.

Ask a Question