What deed, thought, sight or what was said today that made you smile?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Most of the books I have started have not been finished. I read gardening magazines though although I don't have a lot. Just now try another tutorial on menu bar .. and promptly fell asleep. Needed my son to tell me where I went wrong.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, do you know psychiatrists were once called "alienists"? I have no idea why.
When you referred to yourself as an "alien" that was the first thought that came to my mind. With your insight into human nature you would make a good alienist.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Alp, do you know psychiatrists were once called "alienists"? I have no idea why.

What is the Connection Between alienist and Alien?
Alienist looks and sounds like it should mean "someone who studies aliens," and in fact alienist and alien are related - both are ultimately derived from the Latin word alius, meaning "other." In the case of alienist, the etymological trail leads from Latin to French, where the adjective aliene ("insane") gave rise to the noun alieniste, referring to a doctor who treats the insane. Alienist first appeared in print in English in the 19th century. It was preceded by the other alius descendants, alien (14th century) and alienate (used as a verb since the early 16th century). Alienist is much rarer than psychiatrist these days, but at one time it was the preferred term.
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/alienist

Words... :cool: :geek: :love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
MaryMary, now "alienist" makes sense. You and Alp ought to start a clinic together, figuring out people and helping them be more comfortable in their skins. You both offer great insights!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
MaryMary, now "alienist" makes sense. You and Alp ought to start a clinic together, figuring out people and helping them be more comfortable in their skins. You both offer great insights!

Hehe! You want to give me your address? I want to give my address to @Verdun ... umm umm..

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Bad parkers

4735FE2300000578-5168437-image-m-105_1513034744888.jpg

4735FF1F00000578-0-image-a-79_1513015672691.jpg

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ers-finally-comeuppance-hilarious-photos.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@marlingardener I have never seen one of these .. wonder if you have seen one. But at least, you must have seen hummingbirds.. Field mouse, hummingbirds, kingfisher .. I really want to see them in real life!

Ask a Question