What deed, thought, sight or what was said today that made you smile?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/a...-hilarious-pictures-pooches-begging-food.html

Love this. Make sure you watch the video!

MjE3MjAxODZ8Y3hvLmJ8aHR0cHM6Ly9pLmRhaWx5bWFpbC5jby51ay9pL25ld3BpeC8yMDE4LzA3LzIwLzE0LzRFNkU4OTVFMDAwMDA1NzgtNTk3NDM1OS1NZWFud2hpbGVfdGhpc19kb2dfd2FzX3NoYW1lZF9ieV9oaXNfb3duZXJfd2hvX3JldmVhbGVkX2hlX2p1bXBlLWEtNTRfMTUzMjA5MjI2MzU4OC5qcGd8MjE3MjAxODZjeG8uYnxkYWlseTIwMTgwNjA0

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Occasionally I'll drive over to Thornhill, Dewsbury where I was born and spent my childhood to have a wander around. I always enjoy this and the area called Mill Bank has changed very little in the last 70 years apart from some low life messing up the bottom of Hall Lane with dumped rubbish creating an eyesore. I presume it's the Hall Lane farmer who has cut back lots of foliage making walking much more pleasant.

Usually all this area is a lush green but due to this very rare long spell of hot weather all the foliage is dry.

I walked along the canal pathway towards the Mill Bank lock then made my way up to Thornhill Parish Church to pay my respects to family and friends buried there then on to the paper shop on Edge Lane and bought a couple of girlie mags for Bron; it brought back all the memories of when I was a paperboy at this shop 60 years ago and the three local schools I attended. The infants school I attended between 5 and 7 years of age is being converted into flats the work having started years ago but appears to have stopped possibly due to lack of funds; it looks terrible at the moment.

I wandered the Mill Bank area in total peace and tranquility passing just one guy and his dog other than this I was entirely on my own in this wonderful countryside I know as home; yes it brought a smile to my face. :)

Walk July 2018_001.JPG

Down through Thornhill Rectory.

Walk July 2018_002.JPG

How can people do this kind of thing.

Walk July 2018_003.JPG

Total isolation; truly wonderful.

Walk July 2018_004.JPG

Mill Bank canal.

Walk July 2018_005.JPG

Along the canal pathway.

Walk July 2018_006.JPG

Further along the canal pathway.

Walk July 2018_007.JPG

Heading up to Thornhill village from Mill Bank.

Walk July 2018_008.JPG

Higher still up the pathway.

Walk July 2018_009.JPG

My old infants school adjacent to the graveyard; I loved this school and the teachers; how sad it now is.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Nice one Mary. (y)

WOW I'm hot; I've just been rotavating at the top of our mountain and I don't think I'll ever cool down again; my clothes are clinging to me; I hadn't realized the temperature could raise so high here in the UK; last summer (joke) it struggled to make double figures and poured with rain when it wasn't snowing; I think this summer will go down in history. I tried rotavating across the steep slope but couldn't control the rotavator so rotavated up and down as kindly suggested by Silentrunning in another thread.

I've ordered eight assorted Potentilla and whilst awaiting delivery thought I'd prepare the soil for them; the Hostas I planted in the area have done very badly but given we've had a summer for a change the shock must have killed them. :(

https://www.jparkers.co.uk/4-potentilla-collection-1001279c

This morning all I did was to clean and tidy the workshop but I thought I'd make up for it this afternoon and do something useful outside.

Kind regards, Colin.

DSC00790.JPG
DSC00791.JPG

Ask a Question