What deed, thought, sight or what was said today that made you smile?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
4DDD655400000578-5912021-_One_year_ago_She_also_shared_a_snap_of_them_following_their_bir-a-29_1530592233469.jpg

Saw this in the papers and really love it.

4DDD65C400000578-5912021-image-m-122_1530590464425.jpg

Feast for the chickens

I so want this kind of life

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbi...s-casual-joggers-sneakers-day-son-Samuel.html

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This is quite hilarious

Car driver trying to overtake a traffic jam on the WRONG side of the berates van driver who is in his way in ugly road rage confrontation

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Alp, having chicks and chickens isn't all beer and skittles! The chicks need temperature control, daily cleaning of their bin, and a diet of "starter feed." Their water needs to be cleaned twice daily, and the waterer needs to be shallow enough that they don't drown (chicks and chickens don't swim).
Then, after they get big enough to move to an outside coop (did I forget to mention that as chicks they need to be monitored and kept inside? You ought to smell our guest bedroom when we are raising chicks!) you need to keep them in a restricted area until they are large enough (17 weeks) to go to the outside coop, eat bugs, and scratch around in the dirt.
I love our hens, and wouldn't give them up for anything. Their eggs are so much better than grocery store eggs, and we get the entertainment of watching their shenanigans, too!
If you so want this kind of life, realize that it entails responsibilities, expenses, and a lot of omelettes in your diet!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
realize that it entails responsibilities, expenses, and a lot of omelettes in your diet!
:eek::LOL::LOL::ROFLMAO: We eat a lot of eggs and we just put them in our rice and cook them at the same time. Son calls this easy cooking. Indeed, we had an egg each and a slice of salmon for dinner.

Yes, I can visualise my spreadsheet! Ooops! Don't think I will feed them with dry mealworms either as I don't have Jennifer Garner's money! I would like to give a it a go, limiting probably to 5. My parents used to keep caged hens and I used to collect eggs. That was decades ago when nobody was worried about animal welfare.

Their eggs are so much better than grocery store eggs,

I have noticed some eggs branded under a certain name have no weight whatsoever and wondered if the supplier weighed their feed. These eggs are consistently very light! Something fishing is going on!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
I also forgot to mention the sheer pleasure of giving healthy, deep orange yolked eggs to friends. I have two friends that get a dozen a week, and I do enjoy seeing the smiles and hearing their little cries of glee when I give them eggs.
If you get hens, Alp, make sure you get a docile breed and one that is adapted to your climate. We have Black Australorps who can stand our Texas heat. They lay big brown eggs, are docile, and aren't picky about what they eat (we do give them the best layer pellet feed and left-overs from dinner).
These are our young ladies, exploring the barn lot. As they get more mature, their combs grow and they grow, too! I weighed one of our ladies and she came in at 12 lbs.
6-28 006.jpg

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I also forgot to mention the sheer pleasure of giving healthy, deep orange yolked eggs to friends. I have two friends that get a dozen a week, and I do enjoy seeing the smiles and hearing their little cries of glee when I give them eggs.
If you get hens, Alp, make sure you get a docile breed and one that is adapted to your climate. We have Black Australorps who can stand our Texas heat. They lay big brown eggs, are docile, and aren't picky about what they eat (we do give them the best layer pellet feed and left-overs from dinner).
These are our young ladies, exploring the barn lot. As they get more mature, their combs grow and they grow, too! I weighed one of our ladies and she came in at 12 lbs.
View attachment 39968

Shame I don't live next to you. Will pay for them. Thank you for the advice. Need to sell the house quickly. Saw house and land for £200K in the middle of nowhere, but soooo tempting!

Good looking hens, @marlingardener !

Saw this and chuckled

Im-PECK-able Yorkshire accent! Talking raven startles castle visitors by asking them 'You alright love? - with a distinctly Northern twang

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
That is so lovely, but on the down side I bet it has been worrying him for all these past years:(
I hope he has found peace now that his conscious is cleared:)(y)

Ask a Question