What can I use in my soil to make it retain less water? (Perlite Vs. Organic Soil)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@alp In my new mix I upped the perlite amount some, I think it'll help based on the commenting here and test I'm running.

And yea, the upload a picture button was requiring a URL and the only image hosting site that I use online is Dropbox.
View attachment 28142
View attachment 28143
View attachment 28144

but the upload a file button does work, thanks! (slaps forehead)

As a side note, when I repotted it appears that the root structure of my tree has gotten at least twice as big, yet the tree hasn't grown. I'm not sure if that information is useful here but it seems odd to me.
Don't forget, perlite doesn't provide nutrients to the plant, so make sure you have a proper feed, preferably on the weak side as the plant is still young. Think you might have worried too much.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't forget, perlite doesn't provide nutrients to the plant, so make sure you have a proper feed, preferably on the weak side as the plant is still young. Think you might have worried too much.

I'll keep that in mind, thank you. I hope you're right on worrying too much, I've just had so many problems in the past so I'm cautious when I see something strange.

@Chuck, they do get big. For the time being, I don't have a yard, I'm just going to be keeping the small trees alive indoors until I move.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@Mikenet82 Why not go for something easy and instantly rewarding? Feel so sorry to see you worried. I myself always go for something happy go lucky. Something tough and instantly rewarding even indoors. That way, you build up your confidence and everything seems to be more enjoyable and rewarding.

Perhaps a privet in a bonsai dish, but shape the stem in an interesting way? it could be so rewarding and could bring instantaneous pleasure!

Reaction score
Country
United States
@alp I've thought about perhaps getting something else. Kratom is indeed tough to take care of, it's a tropical tree which likes high temperatures and humidity, which may one of the reasons I've had trouble drying the soil out fast enough. I've learned a lot though, I grew clones successfully and built my own greenhouse etc. etc. I'd have a hard time giving up on the tree, perhaps if I sold it I'd be okay to let it go.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Hey, as long as you enjoy yourself, a little bit of challenge is what we need to fire our passion. It's like I tried to raise streptocarpus from seeds or meconopsis from seeds. They are not easy, but somehow they spur me on.. and I could do both of them. It's that challenge that makes our lives interesting .. Don't you think? It's like when I was fed up with all the weeding, I would say I would concrete everything up. But there would be no life for me if I did that.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I agree I think that's a good life philosophy. I'm sure the problem I have will turn out okay, the tree seems to be doing better since I repotted. If not, at least I could say I tried!

Ask a Question