Compacted soil under trees and shrubs

MAJ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there, do you need to de-compact soil around large established shrubs, or are they already established enough to look after themselves? If you do need to dig, is it worth doing now when the soil is dry and rock hard, or wait for the autumn as usual? There doesn't seem to be any problems at the mo with the plants. Any advice appreciated!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't bother, personally. I'd be concerned about inadvertently damaging the roots. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Welcome to the forum :)

MAJ

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I wouldn't bother, personally. I'd be concerned about inadvertently damaging the roots. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Welcome to the forum :)

Hey Becky Thanks for the Welcome and the advice. Yes, I was thinking the same thing really... Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Bacteria eat the sugar. fungi eat bacteria. You grow a biomass basically. Both bacteria and fungi are capable of growing hyphae (root) and this will bring up moisture from deep in the soil. It all happens in the top few inches of soil where oxygen can be involved. You probably want to add amino acids (proteins) in the form of organic fertilizer or even soybean meal. The bugs make their bodies out of amino acids. Micro nutrients wont hurt either. The phrase "feed the soil" means basically anything you would eat except you eat too much salt.

Ask a Question