What Are Basic Herbs To Get Started?

Reaction score
I have always wanted an herb garden for my kitchen, just a small one. What are the main ones that I should start out with to begin my kitchen herbs?

Reaction score
I would say rosemary, basil, etc. I think the best way for a total beginner is to buy a little herb garden kit that's designed for indoor growing. I've even seen them at Family Dollar, so they should definitely be available at other places. It has everything you need including instructions.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Mint is easy to grow and it smells really nice. You could also try basil and thyme. Even my boyfriend, who has never been interested in gardening, managed to grow these herbs, so they're great for beginners;)

Reaction score
I would just think about which sort of herbs you are likely to use the most often in your favourite recipes. It really depends on your own personal taste, so try to choose the herbs that you will make the most use of. I find it really satisfying to use my own fresh herbs that I've grown myself when I'm cooking.

Reaction score
I have always wanted an herb garden for my kitchen, just a small one. What are the main ones that I should start out with to begin my kitchen herbs?

To be honest I too would say the same - that the best herbs to grow would be the ones that you use and like the most - especially as all herbs are regarded as very easy to grow - but especially all the mint and basil varieties - as well as chives, cilantro and parsley - with parsley being a really good choice for indoor growing as it requires a lot less light than some of the other varieties of herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Basil and parsley are my favorite choices as there are lots of uses for your fresh bounty. You can even dry or freeze any that you dont use right away.

Reaction score
I found basil, and parsley, even thyme are easy to grow. But i agree with a previous poster about dollar general or what not dollar store to grab one of those kits. Thats what I did when I first began :)

Ask a Question